any guides to checking/repairing starter motor

4 replies to this topic
  • rozero1234

Posted May 28, 2008 - 10:17 PM

my 03' WR is finally running strong, and i switched the starter clutch. the starter button never really worked, and after some pretty gnarly uphill rides, i really wish i had a magic button.
i'm gonna check all connections tomorrow, but i was wondering if there were any guides out there on how to repair a startor motor, preferably with pictures.

• William1

Posted May 29, 2008 - 03:24 AM

To service an electric motor, common jobs are:
Clean internals
Replace brushes
Cut commutor
Test on a Growler

The last two have to be done at an eletric motor shop (unless you have a metal lathe, then you can cut the commutor)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rozero1234

Posted May 29, 2008 - 03:05 PM

sounds pretty straight forward. how do i know when to replace brushes? i've never seen the inside of a starter before.

Posted May 30, 2008 - 06:51 AM

One more tip. Mark the orientation of the housing pieces before you take the motor apart. The position of the magnets is important when you reassemble it.

• rozero1234

Posted June 02, 2008 - 09:21 PM

good tip thanks.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.