My chain snapped and did some damage look.......

58 replies to this topic
  • matt4x4

Posted May 30, 2008 - 03:50 AM

500 bucks is a good deal for all that, and the great thing is you'll know your bike inside out once he's done showing you how it's done.
Of course, by the sounds of it, you're still looking at a lot of dough in parts.

• HMMRDWN

Posted May 31, 2008 - 02:14 AM

Why could you not just buy another stock case saver and run 2 side by side without a guard? They are $15? Would it not be the same strenth as the fancy expensive ones? It would be close to the thickness.

• angellmxer

Posted May 31, 2008 - 03:41 PM

Just go to any good machine shop with and have em TIG weld the cracks. Same thing happened to me. I JB-welded it initially, which worked well and later welded it up.

• BradThomas

Posted May 31, 2008 - 11:57 PM

Id TIG it, but thats my solution to anything metal that has problems and comes to me.

• MaxPower

Posted June 01, 2008 - 04:14 AM

[COLOR="Green"]you guys are putting way too much trust in a case saver.Those things are mounted with 2 weenie 6mm screws into the case itself.

If a chain bunches up against it, its just going to snap the mounting holes and you are going to have to fix the case in another spot too.

Unless the case saver is mounted back on the frame its just a step above nothing.The crux of the situation is not to have your chain break. [/COLOR]

• xrmarty

Posted June 01, 2008 - 08:27 AM

wow!!!!!!!!!!! I'm ordering a case saver as soon as I'm done typing this.

• xrmarty

Posted June 01, 2008 - 08:37 AM

[COLOR="Green"]you guys are putting way too much trust in a case saver.Those things are mounted with 2 weenie 6mm screws into the case itself.

If a chain bunches up against it, its just going to snap the mounting holes and you are going to have to fix the case in another spot too.

Unless the case saver is mounted back on the frame its just a step above nothing.The crux of the situation is not to have your chain break. [/COLOR]

Yeah, but it's much easier to fix mounting holes than this:eek:

Posted Image

• 99raptor

Posted June 01, 2008 - 07:05 PM

thats gotta be one of the most worn out sprockets i've seen

• ttweedle

Posted June 02, 2008 - 04:41 AM

I agree, that sprocket should have been changed A LONG TIME AGO, along with the rear sprocket and chain. For less than 200 bucks you could have saved your case... and been riding as usual.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted June 02, 2008 - 08:56 AM

That's my thought. That sprocket looks way worn out and judging by the color of the retaining nut, maintenance looks lacking.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted June 02, 2008 - 10:15 AM

That's my thought. That sprocket looks way worn out and judging by the color of the retaining nut, maintenance looks lacking.

Looks like red clay to me, and I've seen sprockets way worse than that. Not that it wasn't worn out, but the worse you've ever seen?

• Raider9170

Posted June 02, 2008 - 10:28 AM

Buy the "tootsie roll" type jb weld and do it up!. I did it to mine and it has never leaked a drop of oil. If the clutch arm stil moves smoothly clean the area up really well, mash the jb weld up and CAREFULLY press it in to fill the gap. Works PERFECTLY and is $5 and not $1200 and weeks of time

• grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2008 - 10:46 AM

Looks like red clay to me, and I've seen sprockets way worse than that. Not that it wasn't worn out, but the worse you've ever seen?

Clearly not the worst I've ever seen, either, but what isn't apparent in that is how worn the chain was that produced that wear and broke the tooth off.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 02, 2008 - 10:57 AM

Clearly not the worst I've ever seen, either, but what isn't apparent in that is how worn the chain was that produced that wear and broke the tooth off.

agree - the front sprocket does not look that bad(curious what the rear looks like)
Retaining nut always rust - just spray it with wd40
Something failed in the chain - to do this and Matt mentioned the masterlink clip was intact.

• swaldrop

Posted June 02, 2008 - 11:19 AM

I think he may want to inspect both of his chain guides to make sure they are in tact. I have had some trouble with mine on this bike myself (a problem I never had with my 250F's). Both front and rear were worn all the way through on mine and were starting to wear into the swingarm a bit. Any prolonged chain-to-swingarm contact would speed up the wear process and could potentially cause a chain to heat up quite a bit to the point of failure.

Matt, check all around the front of the swingarm as well as the rear chain guide for any excessive wear. Just a thought, in case you were still trying to determine why it happened.

• HMMRDWN

Posted June 02, 2008 - 12:58 PM

no one commented on my idea..

Would putting 2 Yamaha case savers side by side not be stronger than 1? They are $10 from Yamaha for a second one. Easy and simple.

• Bigcr

Posted June 02, 2008 - 01:58 PM

no one commented on my idea..

Would putting 2 Yamaha case savers side by side not be stronger than 1? They are $10 from Yamaha for a second one. Easy and simple.

That sounds like a good idea. Have you tried it yet?:thumbsup:

• matts06yzf

Posted June 02, 2008 - 06:27 PM

I think he may want to inspect both of his chain guides to make sure they are in tact. I have had some trouble with mine on this bike myself (a problem I never had with my 250F's). Both front and rear were worn all the way through on mine and were starting to wear into the swingarm a bit. Any prolonged chain-to-swingarm contact would speed up the wear process and could potentially cause a chain to heat up quite a bit to the point of failure.

Matt, check all around the front of the swingarm as well as the rear chain guide for any excessive wear. Just a thought, in case you were still trying to determine why it happened.

That was one of the 1st things I did and have always watched this. The guide is fine. I did some looking at the chain today and I cant figure it out for crap. Master link is fine and I am a freak about my chain being perfect as far as adjustment goes. I love Regina Orn 6 because I have only adjusted that chain once since new. The rear sprockets are fine I have 4 rears all mounted with iron man its all I run. I am headed to badboy hondas supercross shop either in the morning or early wed. They keep trying to get me to mod this baby out while motor is down but I dunno :thumbsup:

• HMMRDWN

Posted June 02, 2008 - 06:59 PM

Can we see a pic of your stock case saver that was mangled?

• BC3

Posted June 03, 2008 - 08:38 AM

gidday mate just to cheer you up a little i wish thats all the damage i had to pay for as my bike snapped the conrod due to timing out by one notch one measly notch lol its cost me $2200 i had a nine hole golf course through the motor it stuffed the barrell the crank both crank cases mind you l/h side case was able to be welded as it wernt to bad r/h was destroyed balance shaft was stuffed 3rd gear drive wheel mate the list goes on i should would have got a new bike only it is new lol i got it off my mate for a set of mags the damage was already done so i kind of got a bargain a $4000 bike for $2200 as for beaz saying they wont line up mate they will maybe he has heard wrong as i got a second hand r/h case and its perfect match goodluck mate but i would see your mechanic and get him to send it away to be welded properly i cant see why it wont work take care mate

One of our TT members called me from New Orleans last night and did the same thing to his 03 YZ450 clutch shaft...He was wondering if I could weld it up for him and machine it back to an "OK" working condition......I was concerned because of the position of what looks like an oil passage (plug)
right near the affected area...When you welded your cases did you have to split them or could you weld it with them together?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.