My chain snapped and did some damage look.......

58 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted May 28, 2008 - 05:12 PM

Chain Snapped because my front sprocket broke a tooth and boom chain went case and split it right where clutch mech goes into case. I really dont want to spend a grand in this with new cases parts etc and $400 in labor. Can this be rigged like Jb weld etc? I hate to do stuff the cheap way but damn I wanna ride and shops are backed for weeks. there is no way my ass is taking this thing down because I cant put a model car together much less this bad boy. What would you guys do???? and if I do need parts beside cases do I need like bearings r what. Im pisseeeeed

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• 642MX

Posted May 28, 2008 - 05:28 PM

You must have the worst luck......:thumbsup:

I wouldn't JB the case, fix it right and replace the case.

• swaldrop

Posted May 28, 2008 - 05:39 PM

Chain Snapped because my front sprocket broke a tooth and boom chain went case and split it right where clutch mech goes into case. I really dont want to spend a grand in this with new cases parts etc and $400 in labor. Can this be rigged like Jb weld etc? I hate to do stuff the cheap way but damn I wanna ride and shops are backed for weeks. there is no way my ass is taking this thing down because I cant put a model car together much less this bad boy. What would you guys do???? and if I do need parts beside cases do I need like bearings r what. Im pisseeeeed

That sucks man. I feel your pain. I dropped a valve and destroyed the upper end of my motor.

I'll tell you what... You send me your cylinder on up and between us we'll have one working motor. We can overnight it back and forth to make sure we can still get some riding in!

• matts06yzf

Posted May 28, 2008 - 05:47 PM

Dealllll we will split weekends hahaha this sucks man I been reading your post and I feel your pain also. it just stinks me and this bike havent gotten along.

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 28, 2008 - 06:00 PM

Was the case saver on?

• matts06yzf

Posted May 28, 2008 - 06:11 PM

yes that stock junk thing was on I should have had a hammerhead. Just got off the phone with team manager and main mechanic for Team Badboy energy drink Honda and they ran yamahas last year and he said they had 4 do the same exact thing. Do I need new bearing and if so which ones and what all gasket kits do i need?

• Beaz

Posted May 28, 2008 - 07:03 PM

Imo you have to replace both cases since there cut from one piece
therefore no to are going to be exact i would imagine but hope im wrong

• 642MX

Posted May 28, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Do I need new bearing and if so which ones and what all gasket kits do i need?

Besides the cases.....I'd replace the rings, timing chain, the clutch actuator bearing & seal, the shift shaft seal, and counter shaft seal. You'll need a head gasket, base gasket, mag cover gasket, right side case gasket, tensioner gasket, and clutch cover gasket.

• nathanyzf426

Posted May 28, 2008 - 11:13 PM

gidday mate just to cheer you up a little i wish thats all the damage i had to pay for as my bike snapped the conrod due to timing out by one notch one measly notch lol its cost me $2200 i had a nine hole golf course through the motor it stuffed the barrell the crank both crank cases mind you l/h side case was able to be welded as it wernt to bad r/h was destroyed balance shaft was stuffed 3rd gear drive wheel mate the list goes on i should would have got a new bike only it is new lol i got it off my mate for a set of mags the damage was already done so i kind of got a bargain a $4000 bike for $2200 as for beaz saying they wont line up mate they will maybe he has heard wrong as i got a second hand r/h case and its perfect match goodluck mate but i would see your mechanic and get him to send it away to be welded properly i cant see why it wont work take care mate

• honda597

Posted May 28, 2008 - 11:36 PM

I did the same on my 07 450, so i also feel your pain. The chain broke and mauled the case,not as bad as yours but it did leak oil. I managed to repair mine by welding it after i removed the clutch arm ect, cleaned up the the gouge with a die grinder, little bit of pre-heat with the oxy and then welded it up with the TIG.(good as new ,no leaks) I then went out and bought the best case saver i could find, as the stock one is really weak.Good luck with yours.
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3447 (Large).jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 29, 2008 - 03:43 AM

Matt geez - not again. :thumbsup:

Always get a case guard - I do not care what brand - anything is better than the stocker

Hey question for you all that are stating this same thing has happened to your bike, I am curious if the chains are snapping or if the masterlink clips are worn to the point they are shearing off. Check to see if the masterlink is still intact. And yes these clips do wear down to the point they will shear off.

Chains should not be snapping unless
they are worn completely out. What kind of chain are they that have snapped also?

Matt this happened on my 03 due to the clip failure. I replaced the case it was not a big deal. I guess I was lucky.

• matts06yzf

Posted May 29, 2008 - 04:29 AM

regina orn6 and it didnt break at the link.

• matt4x4

Posted May 29, 2008 - 04:47 AM

Matt - I myself would not JB weld it, BUT you can try - it might get you running for a good long time if done right, but you have to be really careful not to leave excess JB weld inside so you'd have to scrape anything that squeezes to the inside away.
(there are other metal bonders possibly designed more for this purpose - research)

If replacing the case, here's what will be required - you will need both cases since they are machined as pairs - you can try to replace just the one side if you can find one on Ebay, but it can end in a bigger problem, you will need new bearings because your old ones will get damaged getting them out, you can try to heat the cases around the bearings then gently tapping them in a circular pattern from the outside in (except for the one at the bottom of the damage - it will be useless because you need to use a puller), having them drop onto a cloth, but for fear of the slightest scar, I would replace them, because one tiny scar and a bearing can go south really quick, taking lots of internals with it (I am there right now). You will need a gasket kit unless you can take it all apart without ripping any gaskets which is relatively tricky most times.
New parts - with cases, you're looking at about 750 in parts (TT OEM) give or take a bit depending on what other hardware you decide to replace while you're in there because if you're splitting a case, you want to do it all right the first time.
A shop will charge you at least 1000 labor on top of the parts and likely their parts costs to you will be substantially more than TT's pricing.

Oh, and it's not as hard/intimidating as it looks to tear apart and put together again.

• btray

Posted May 29, 2008 - 04:58 AM

After reading this thread I'm wondering if my case saver is stock...I have an 04 yz450f and it looks alot like the hammer head but not pretty blue powder coat...is mine stock or does anybody know what the stock one looks like, I bought my bike used.

Thanks Bill

• matt4x4

Posted May 29, 2008 - 07:40 AM

part number 10 - it's stamped aluminum anbout 3/16th thick
Posted Image

• buzzfin

Posted May 29, 2008 - 07:43 AM

Honda 597 - Who makes that case saver? I need to toss my stocker and get a good one.

• Wiz636

Posted May 29, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Honda 597 - Who makes that case saver? I need to toss my stocker and get a good one.

His case saver is from Hammerhead designs...I have the same one except black anodized. http://www.hammerheaddesignsinc.com/

The Zip Ty Racing case saver looks pretty good also.
http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTYwMQ==

• matts06yzf

Posted May 29, 2008 - 06:39 PM

Im getting lots done, new case, seals. bearings etc. piston, rings, cam chain, new lower fork tube from a previous wreck, all new fluids in forks and rear shock. Main mechanic for Team Bad Boy energy drinks is taking me under his wing and charging me 500 bucks for all the labor. And some parts like seals etc.

• btray

Posted May 29, 2008 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, by the manual mine's stock.\

Thanks Bill

• honda597

Posted May 30, 2008 - 02:40 AM

Its made by HAMMERHEAD.
Best one i could find.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.