08 YZ450F - How much did you pay?

28 replies to this topic
  • Kasjok

Posted September 30, 2008 - 08:47 AM

You lucky americans. I bought mine used this spring (only 8h) and paid 6900$ and that was then superb price. New bikes from dealers are 10grand around here. And you have better wages!!:lame:

• RMCoastie

Posted September 30, 2008 - 10:48 AM

Mine was $7k OTD. But that was back when they where first getting into the dealerships around here earlier this year.

• Matt_W

Posted September 30, 2008 - 11:00 AM

I paid $6,100 OTD for the White (Special Edition) in August 2008 here in PA. They wanted $6,400 but I told them I'm not paying a $300 set-up fee when all they do is put on the front wheel, the handle bars and fill the bike with fluids.

Beware about the lure of buying bikes out of state thinking you are avoiding sales tax. A few years back I bought a brand new 2003 CR450F still in the crate from a place in Canada. It was $5,300 + $200 shipping via Forward Air. Along with the great price, their hook was no sales tax. A few weeks after picking the bike up I get a letter in the mail from the PA state treasury informing me they were made aware that I imported a motorcycle from Canada and that I'm still required to pay sales tax. The sales tax had nothing to do with whether or not I was going to register the bike; I was still required to pay the tax.

Funny story about that crated CRF from Canada. It must have been a European model, because in the crate was an extra box of spare parts that included an extra piston, rings, full gasket set, levers, air filter, and a full service manual. I panicked at first and checked the kick-starter to verify it had compression, because for a moment I thought I was going to have to install the piston and rings myself. They should have included an extra set of valves and springs the way that bike went through them :lame:

• grayracer513

Posted September 30, 2008 - 11:22 AM

Beware about the lure of buying bikes out of state thinking you are avoiding sales tax.

This is such a good point, especially for those living in a place like the People's Democratic Republic of California. Here in the PDRC, you are required to register dirt bikes as Off Road vehicles. They can't charge sales tax, but they can and do charge a "Use" tax, which just happens to be the same 7.75% the sale tax is. Be sure to check with your DMV before you go on a cross country trek to get a "screaming deal".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • llamaface

Posted September 30, 2008 - 12:10 PM

This is such a good point, especially for those living in a place like the People's Democratic Republic of California. Here in the PDRC, you are required to register dirt bikes as Off Road vehicles. They can't charge sales tax, but they can and do charge a "Use" tax, which just happens to be the same 7.75% the sale tax is. Be sure to check with your DMV before you go on a cross country trek to get a "screaming deal".

Or just find out if the screaming deal includes tax. Generally, if you pay out-of-state sales tax, they will credit that towards the tax you pay to register the vehicle (at least NV, ID and SD do this). I'm shopping OTD prices in norcal, which include cali tax, but if pay it there, I DONT have to pay tax in idaho. I don't mind paying $100-200 more to buy a bike here from the local guy, but if they won't at least make an effort to get close to OTDcyclesports price, then I don't mind driving to norcal. It's a good excuse to drop off my ex's bike anyway, and make more room in the garage.

• grayracer513

Posted September 30, 2008 - 12:31 PM

The wonderful thing about California is that they don't care what tax you paid, as long as it wasn't paid to them. They'll get you for it even if you paid ST outside.

They also calculate their gas tax on the price of the gas, PLUS the federal tax, so they are nakedly taxing a tax, and they will tax the payments from your state retirement plan, even if you move to another state. Gotta Love 'em.

• zao

Posted September 30, 2008 - 12:45 PM

6149 out the door.

• jacob293

Posted October 01, 2008 - 04:57 PM

I paid 5700 otd in california in april. right now in washington they are advertised for around 6000

• llamaface

Posted October 03, 2008 - 06:57 AM

I paid 5700 otd in california in april. right now in washington they are advertised for around 6000

when you say 'otd', i assume you mean including tax, if so, that is a pretty good deal. Best I can find now (real otd price including tax) is around $6200.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.