Pulling the flywheel (rotor as yamaha calls it)

11 replies to this topic
  • c9buff

Posted May 27, 2008 - 12:34 PM

I have a 2005 WR 450. I just put a new starter in it and it turns fine. The problem is that the bike engine does not turn.

I want to check the starter clutch and starter clutch drive gear but in order to get to it I have to pull the rotor. (flywheel)

Yamaha says I need special tools. A sheave holder and a rotor puller.

Do I really need these tools to do the job. Also, the nut that holds the flywheel on, are these regular or reverse threads.

Any help is greatly apprecitated.

Thanks,

buff:banghead:

• Frostbite

Posted May 27, 2008 - 01:09 PM

I have a 2005 WR 450. I just put a new starter in it and it turns fine. The problem is that the bike engine does not turn.

I want to check the starter clutch and starter clutch drive gear but in order to get to it I have to pull the rotor. (flywheel)

Yamaha says I need special tools. A sheave holder and a rotor puller.

Do I really need these tools to do the job. Also, the nut that holds the flywheel on, are these regular or reverse threads.

Any help is greatly apprecitated.

Thanks,

buff:banghead:

If you use a standard 3 or 4 arm puller, you could bend the flywheel. They pull from the outer edge and the special tool pulls from the middle.

That being said, I had no choice and took a chance and pulled mine with a 3 arm puller, and it worked, but I knew I was taking a chance. I also had to grind down the ends of the puller arms since 2 of them wouldn't fit between the flywheel and the engine case.

I'm pretty sure the flywheel nut is standard thread.

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2008 - 01:12 PM

The nut that retains the flywheel is right hand thread (normal). You don't need the holder, but the puller is absolutely necessary in order to do the job correctly without damage to the flywheel or crank.

Suzuki dealers may have one in stock. (Note the cross fit)

http://www.motionpro...partno/08-0390/

• c9buff

Posted May 27, 2008 - 04:42 PM

Thanks Greyracer:

I will try to get the puller tomorrow.

Is it possible to remove the nut that holds the flywheel by grabbing the flywheel and holding it stationary while unscrewing the nut?

thanks,

buff

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2008 - 07:33 PM

If you have access to an impact wrench, the nut can easily be removed with no holding device.

If not, hold the flywheel with an open end wrench by the flats on its end, just under the nut.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted May 27, 2008 - 08:27 PM

I tried this past weekend to get my flywheel off (02 WR426) and I could not get it off. I tried holding it with a rubber strap wrench and the wrench would just slip, and I also tried holding it with a small adjustable pin wrench and it was not big enough to hold in the proper holes. I tried the pin wrench in the threaded holes and it still wouldn't hold it. Will an electric impact take it off? I don't have an impact, my friend does, he has air and electric. I guess I will have to borrow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted May 27, 2008 - 09:54 PM

I tried this past weekend to get min flywheel off (02 WR426) and I could not get it off. I tried holding it with a rubber strap wrench and the wrench would just slip, and I also tried holding it with a small adjustable pin wrench and it was not big enough to hold in the proper holes. I tried the pin wrench in the threaded holes and it still wouldn't hold it. Will an electric impact take it off? I don't have an impact, my friend does, he has air and electric. I guess I will have to borrow.

I haven't used an electric impact, but have used air. Works like a charm. One thing to note...when using a pin spanner or threading bolts into the holes for the puller in the flywheel on your 02 is to not thread them in far enough that they contact the coils...my son made that mistake on his 2-fiddy, and it was costly.

• matt4x4

Posted May 28, 2008 - 04:29 AM

I got mine off using a standard (small) puller, just tapped it evenly around the perimeter using a rubber mallet as I started to pull, once a bit of pressure was there, it just popped off - and the bolt just came off using an impact gun and holding the flywheel in my hand. This is on a 2000, but very similar.

• c9buff

Posted May 28, 2008 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I do have an air impact gun but my only concern was which way this thing is threaded. From what everyone is saying, it is conventional.

thanks,
buff

• Carl_Mega

Posted May 31, 2008 - 05:50 PM

I put the bike in 5th and had a friend stand on the rear brake - nut broke off no problem w/ regular ratchet.

Unfortunately, the same technique does not work to re-torque the nut.

Does any one have a good technique to get the nut torqued to 47lbs without the fly wheel holder?

I think I'm going to try a strap wrench (cheapie from Harbor Freight) but I'm not sure if it'll be enough to get it torqued properly.

Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2008 - 06:15 PM

Is there not a ground pair of flats on the threaded end of the flywheel, or are you working with a 426? On the 450, put an open end on the flywheel, rest the wrench on the foot peg, and torque.

• Carl_Mega

Posted May 31, 2008 - 08:09 PM

I didn't think I could get a wrench in there and still access the nut. Based on your advice, I just tried again and success! Thank you for your help!

Is there not a ground pair of flats on the threaded end of the flywheel, or are you working with a 426? On the 450, put an open end on the flywheel, rest the wrench on the foot peg, and torque.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.