How much engine noise is too much?

4 replies to this topic
  • ptpyron

Posted May 27, 2008 - 11:59 AM

I understand the yz's tend to have a little more engine noise than some of the other bikes, however how much would cause an alarm to go off? I have an 07 450 and there seems to be a loud noise in the engine. It is not a grinding noise but more of a banging noise, kind of like hitting a metal pipe on a bench. I run full synthetic oil and change very frequently, plenty of coolant, and at times a small amount of a milky substance out of the breather tube. The engine seems to still have plenty of power and starts very easy. Any ideas on where I should start my search?

• Slinkyman16

Posted May 27, 2008 - 12:21 PM

to help with the noise issue, try to find someone who has the same bike.. then listen to the motor..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2008 - 12:51 PM

The occasional milky drop of oil from the breather is normal, and is a result of the condensation of moisture from the air in the line.

The '06 and '07 were noisier than the earlier models partly because of the aluminum frame. If you have a skid plate, it exaggerates things even more. There's no fix, because nothing is broken. Like Slinky said, check a couple more, they're all like that.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted May 28, 2008 - 05:28 AM

ive got the same bike and i too thought there was something wrong when i first bought it. I wouldn't worry to much!

• Jake92

Posted May 28, 2008 - 10:14 AM

I had a 2000 426 and rode the snot out of it. I too thought it was too loud, until the crank started going out. Then she lets you know what loud is. When it sounds like a man with a hammer in your motor. Worry then. Till that point ride it like you stole it.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.