MY WR may be on the way out.

37 replies to this topic
  • manther

Posted May 27, 2008 - 11:40 AM

Went on a riding trip to red river motorcycle trails, in muenster Tx this weekend, and my WR broke down right before we got there. (Carb started acting up and was dying everytime I leaned it to the right). I was forced to ride my old cr125 all weekend long. I totally re-fell in love with my 125. It's so light and easy to handle. When I jump I don't feel like a ton of bricks coming back down. The nose doesn't dive in and wash out hardly ever. Tight twisty trails are a blast. I have a few teeth bigger on the rear so hills are fun and challenging but doable. After riding my 190lbs. cr all day, then coming back to the hotel to look at the 255lbs wr I found myself not even wanting to troubleshoot the wr for the next days ride. I'm seriously thinking about selling the WR, and taking that money and either fixing up the cr (big bore kit ect... gnarly silencer), getting a ktm 144, doing a KX kdx hybrid, or also the WR200's intrigue me. Maybe I should fix the WR and think it over for a while.

• wartsnuff

Posted May 27, 2008 - 11:46 AM

not sure what to say...

for the type of riding here in manitoba 125cc is just too small.

I love the 164kp/h i got on my WR on a farmer mud road :thumbsup:

cheers n good luck

Warts

• manther

Posted May 27, 2008 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, just posted this to see if someone had a thought that might change my mind, or something I hadn't thought of. All my friends who were riding bigger bikes on this trip are worn smooth out. Me and the other guy who were riding 125's recoup'd much quicker.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 27, 2008 - 11:56 AM

Went on a riding trip to red river motorcycle trails, in muenster Tx this weekend, and my WR broke down right before we got there. (Carb started acting up and was dying everytime I leaned it to the right). I was forced to ride my old cr125 all weekend long. I totally re-fell in love with my 125. It's so light and easy to handle. When I jump I don't feel like a ton of bricks coming back down. The nose doesn't dive in and wash out hardly ever. Tight twisty trails are a blast. I have a few teeth bigger on the rear so hills are fun and challenging but doable. After riding my 190lbs. cr all day, then coming back to the hotel to look at the 255lbs wr I found myself not even wanting to troubleshoot the wr for the next days ride. I'm seriously thinking about selling the WR, and taking that money and either fixing up the cr (big bore kit ect... gnarly silencer), getting a ktm 144, doing a KX kdx hybrid, or also the WR200's intrigue me. Maybe I should fix the WR and think it over for a while.

Why did you buy the wr in the first place. Jumping and tight twisty trails are not strong suits of a wr. Its pretty weak in those areas.

But when the trail opens up, my-oh-my, you'll be missing that WR.

• manther

Posted May 27, 2008 - 01:01 PM

Why did you buy the wr in the first place. Jumping and tight twisty trails are not strong suits of a wr. Its pretty weak in those areas.

But when the trail opens up, my-oh-my, you'll be missing that WR.

Good point I may have gotten the WR for the wrong reasons in the first place. I was tired of the weak power on my ttr. A guy offered to trade my ttr for his WR, and I went for it. Your right in wide open long distance trails the WR is awesome. I just don't have but a few places that open up like that where I ride.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 27, 2008 - 08:57 PM

Good point I may have gotten the WR for the wrong reasons in the first place. I was tired of the weak power on my ttr. A guy offered to trade my ttr for his WR, and I went for it. Your right in wide open long distance trails the WR is awesome. I just don't have but a few places that open up like that where I ride.

You should fix the wr, then sell it.

I know what you are going through. I recently bought a yz250 because the wr450 is not a good race bike for me. Its too heavy. However, it is a perfect dual sport / play bike. I'll keep both for now.

• Bamster

Posted May 29, 2008 - 03:42 AM

I got rid of my WR and got a 2 hunny KTM. It's great in the tight stuff and it dose not tire me out like the big WR. I do miss it when we hit a fire road or gravel road but who wants to ride those all day?

• manther

Posted May 29, 2008 - 07:08 AM

I got rid of my WR and got a 2 hunny KTM. It's great in the tight stuff and it dose not tire me out like the big WR. I do miss it when we hit a fire road or gravel road but who wants to ride those all day?

Yeah there is a 2003 ktm 200 on craigslist in my area right now. I'm pretty interested, but when I look up the stats, it's listed at 225lbs. I emailed Eric Gorr, I'm thinking about over boring out my cr125 to a 144 or more. Then this winter I may restore it back to original color scheme.

• face_plant

Posted May 29, 2008 - 07:59 AM

ha ha ha KTM (kick til monday)
you will get used to the wr...but goat pathing is not good on a wr

• XDAB

Posted May 29, 2008 - 10:32 AM

Went through the same thing a while back with my 450. Got my 250 2t out of mothballs and reacquainted myself with it. Needless to saythe 450 has been in mothballs ever since.

I personally don't think there's any substitute for a 2t on demanding trails. They actually do what you want them to do. A lot of it comes down to riding stye and, if you have an active aggressive attacking style, the 2t is the better bike. On the other hand if you have a "flowing" style the 4t may be a better choice. Why not a 250 2t? The world is full of clean late model 250's that can be had for next to nothing. They'll hang with the 450's on most open ground and leave them for dead in the tight stuff...... IMHO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • manther

Posted May 29, 2008 - 11:18 AM

Yeah I have been considering a 250. All the standard 250's kx, yz, rm cr seem to be around 215 lbs. Is there any one year or model that is any lighter?

BTW "Goat pathing" I like that term, I may have to steal it.

• Charles De Mar

Posted May 29, 2008 - 11:34 AM

I love my wr450. tight twisty rocky mountain trails and wide open areas, hill climbs sand dunes etc. I love the electric start because I have short legs and balancing on any full size bike can be difficult. I'm a small guy (5'8"-155lbs)and the big bike has forced me to go to the gym and get into better shape. Yeah there are lighter bikes but the versatility is great. If you want to ride a 2t go for it. I don't miss premix and I like having my bike plated for the occasional pavement spins:thumbsup: I am considering buying a 2t Zuma for in town scoots back and forth to work:thumbsup: 129 mpg's? sweeeeet!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 29, 2008 - 12:21 PM

Yeah I have been considering a 250. All the standard 250's kx, yz, rm cr seem to be around 215 lbs. Is there any one year or model that is any lighter?

BTW "Goat pathing" I like that term, I may have to steal it.

I've only had my yz for a couple months, but I will tell you this...
At 215 to 220lbs, you won't the weight of that bike at all. :thumbsup:

Weight and heaviness becomes a total and complete non-issue with a 250 two stroke. I raced the yz250 for the first time two weeks ago at Gorman and the forest above. But I still didn't do any better in the race, mainly because I don't know how to properly ride a two stroke.

I made a lot of mistakes, but I was a whole lot less tired.

Be careful of the yz smoker. When you first take off, the lack of bottom end can lull you to think that the bike is a bit soft. But then you hit "the pipe" and you'd better hold on.

The 4 stroke is bigger, stronger and faster, but the 2 stroke is a lot more fun.

• manther

Posted May 29, 2008 - 02:41 PM

The 4 stroke is bigger, stronger and faster, but the 2 stroke is a lot more fun.

This last line pretty much sums up why I may be making the change. My WR is 100 times stronger then my 125, but I had way more fun on the 125 this weekend. Check out this bike:
http://dallas.craigs.../666765179.html

• bhiggins25

Posted May 29, 2008 - 06:26 PM

I am considering buying a 2t Zuma for in town scoots back and forth to work:thumbsup: 129 mpg's? sweeeeet!

Yessss! I actually sold my spare bike - a YZ125 - a couple months ago and ended up buying a Zuma myself...it's my limited edition two-stroke dual sport! Check it out next to the WR450 in the garage...

Posted Image

There's a Zuma gang in town now...here's the WR with four Zuma buddies...

Posted Image

I know, I know, I'm thread hijacking...but these things are sweet. Parking structures become supermoto courses, empty lots become motocross tracks, and the thing just gives me perma-grin.:thumbsup: Just waiting for the right time to get a big-bore kit and carb...

Get one Booger!

Ben

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 29, 2008 - 09:43 PM

Yessss! I actually sold my spare bike - a YZ125 - a couple months ago and ended up buying a Zuma myself...it's my limited edition two-stroke dual sport! Check it out next to the WR450 in the garage...

Posted Image

There's a Zuma gang in town now...here's the WR with four Zuma buddies...

Posted Image

I know, I know, I'm thread hijacking...but these things are sweet. Parking structures become supermoto courses, empty lots become motocross tracks, and the thing just gives me perma-grin.:thumbsup: Just waiting for the right time to get a big-bore kit and carb...

Get one Booger!

Ben

Dude, surely they have some sort of Zuma support group you can join.

• manther

Posted May 30, 2008 - 10:02 AM

I have to admit those things do sounds like fun.

• Charles De Mar

Posted May 30, 2008 - 10:46 AM

to bad there are no zuma's to be had in my area. all sold out:rant:

• bhiggins25

Posted May 30, 2008 - 11:34 AM

to bad there are no zuma's to be had in my area. all sold out:rant:

Not surprised. In fact, I was told last night that almost every Yamaha dealership in the country is completely out of Zumas. I have no way of knowing whether that's actually true or not, but I do know that if oil doesn't drop in price soon, we'll see a lot more scooters of every make and model on dealership floors and city streets in 2009.

Don't despair, CDM. If Frostbite got a WR450 to Nunavit, I bet we can get a Zuma to Montana! Start looking around Sacramento, CA.

To add my $.02 to the original subject matter, 125s are hugely under-rated as all-around and trail bikes, partly because there is a major difference between a 'good' 125 and a 'bad' 125. I had an '02 KX125 and the only place I wanted to ride that dog was off a cliff. My '01 YZ125 however, was a different story. Great trail bike, and way more fun to ride than my 450. If I didn't go to Baja, a YZ125 might be the only bike in my garage (besides the Zuma, of course).

Ben

• manther

Posted May 30, 2008 - 11:47 AM

Yeah when one of my buddies starts complaining about the 125's being dogs, I usually find out that the reeds are bad, or it's jetted wrong, or geared too high. I used to hate my 125 until I put new reeds and a larger rear sproket on it. Now it's a fun little hill climber. I can only imagine what a 144 bore kit would do. Back to the Zuma's for a second though. Do they get good gas mialage. I've always heard two strokes consume gas a little faster. Also since it's a two stroke, does it have that 2 stroke hit? Whats the bore?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.