wr450 stalls second it goes into gear

13 replies to this topic
  • c_doggug

Posted May 26, 2008 - 07:09 PM

I have a wr450 03' that I haven't ridden in a few months. It idles fine but the second I put it into gear it dies. Bad fuel filter? All suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

• mattcanWR450F

Posted May 26, 2008 - 08:38 PM

my guess would be clutches

• trailscout

Posted May 26, 2008 - 08:52 PM

before i guessed i'd at least want to get an idea of the engine rpm and if it's still a little cold or warmed up

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 27, 2008 - 01:17 AM

Sounds like your clutch plates may be warped. Take the metal plates (not the friction plates) out and check each one on a surface plate or a known flat surface. They should be absolutely flat. If they're bowed at all they're junk.

• matt4x4

Posted May 27, 2008 - 03:58 AM

Let it warm up over 2 minutes, give it a little blip on the gas right before you drop it into gear, ride it for a while, see if it continues to do so.
Storing it could have made the clutch plates stick together a bit.
Did you store it with clean or dirty oil?

• Frostbite

Posted May 27, 2008 - 04:20 AM

I have a wr450 03' that I haven't ridden in a few months. It idles fine but the second I put it into gear it dies. Bad fuel filter? All suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

Simplest things first - is the clutch cable properly adjusted?

As Matt said, sometimes the clutch plates will stick together during storage.

Is the bike completely unrideable - even if you bump start or roll down a hill in neutral will it quit when you pop in gear? Or can you drive but the stalling is just a pain?

If it worked fine before storage the first thing I'd look at is a sticking clutch issue. Try changing your oil and riding for a while to see if it loosens up.

• tblrk2008

Posted May 27, 2008 - 07:31 AM

Cold fluid will grab and pull a little bit......check your clutch pull and plates. Mine did this a while, and much worse, and my basket was toast.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • burtonvapor

Posted May 28, 2008 - 10:17 PM

for the replies. yeah it rides fine after first gear. it's been awhile since a oil change so it's probably dirty. the clutch and cable were replaced about a year ago so I'm guessing it's the plates sticking. Can I ride this out on a long ride after a oil change or does it need to get serviced?

thank you!!

• Z3R0

Posted May 28, 2008 - 10:23 PM

I had the same problem on my RMZ. I changed the oil, rode it around for 10 minutes on the street in front of my house, and it was good to go.:thumbsup:

• burtonvapor

Posted May 28, 2008 - 11:10 PM

yeah I think you hit the nail. oil change tomorrow it is. thank you!

• rozero1234

Posted May 29, 2008 - 03:20 PM

does it die shifting into first from neutral even after it has warmed up? if it does, then you have a problem. if its just on initial start up, its probably nothing, just hold the throttle open to keep it just above idle then clunk down.
my wr used to do the same thing, but it stopped without me doing anything to the clutch. normally i'd be suspicoius when things "fix themselves" on a motorbike, but i have been riding more often lately...

• swede426

Posted May 31, 2008 - 08:17 PM

does it die shifting into first from neutral even after it has warmed up? if it does, then you have a problem. if its just on initial start up, its probably nothing, just hold the throttle open to keep it just above idle then clunk down.
my wr used to do the same thing, but it stopped without me doing anything to the clutch. normally i'd be suspicoius when things "fix themselves" on a motorbike, but i have been riding more often lately...

What happens when you put it on a stand with wheel in the air and let it idle with gear in until it's hot?
Does it work better then?

• markvfr

Posted June 01, 2008 - 10:43 AM

same thing happens to my WR after the winter. Like was mentioned before, change the oil and once the bike is idling in neutral, pull the clutch in, rev it up a bit and pop it into gear. The clutch plates are sticking, 90% certain. Ride around your house through all the gears and it should be good as new.

:thumbsup:

• CRFSCOTT

Posted June 05, 2008 - 10:06 AM

it sounds like your clutch plates are worn out...if you have the clutch in while shifting down, then its most likely that your plates are worn out and the clutch is just slipping. New plates may be required.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.