Ditching the radiator overflow bottle?

8 replies to this topic
  • steve350f

Posted May 26, 2008 - 01:48 PM

What's the deal with getting rid of the radiator overflow bottle? I read something about getting a new radiator cap also. Do you then use different mixture? Somebody please try to clear this up for me. :thumbsup: Thanks

• Birdy426

Posted May 26, 2008 - 03:50 PM

Don't know why you would want to...the bottle catches coolant when you boil over, then sucks it back in as things cool down...

You can get rid of it and you would be just like a YZ. Don't need a new cap, but a higher pressure cap will boil over later. You run the same 50/50 water/glycol mix as you run with the tank.

• tunefx

Posted May 27, 2008 - 04:46 AM

Removed mine to be more YZ-like. Using stock cap. I check coolant level after every ride. Replaced stock anti-freeze with Engine Ice. Another reason the overflow bottle is on the bike is due to standard anti-freeze being poisonous to animals and thus not environmental friendly, i.e., off-road vs. track only. Engine Ice is not poisonous and it's enviro friendly.

Hope this helps.

Oh, I also don't mix the Engine Ice with water.

• Frostbite

Posted May 27, 2008 - 04:54 AM

the bottle catches coolant when you boil over, then sucks it back in as things cool down...

Sometimes.:thumbsup:

Did you get yours figured out yet Birdy?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted May 27, 2008 - 08:48 AM

Sometimes.:thumbsup:

Did you get yours figured out yet Birdy?

Ahhh, Frostbite...everyone likes a little, but no one likes a smart one...:ride: ...

I think I've got it...

I suddenly had a "flat forehead moment" (slap your forehead with the palm of your hand and say "Doh!"). I noticed that when I rode, the coolant "boiled over" even before the bike had a chance to get really warmed up, indicating that the system was being pressurized from something other than temperature...can you say "Blown head gasket"? The rads couldn't recover the fluid that was forced into the catch tank because more was being forced than the result of thermal expansion of the fluid.

I pulled the head off, and sure enough, there was a leak between the cylinder and the water jacket at the back of the cylinder. Recall that there are 4 studs protruding from the head that pick up bosses on the barrel. One of those nuts had backed off (in fact, fell off!), reducing the clamp up forces. That also kinda explains why the bike didn't boil over in the garage...at low revs, not enough pressure pulses to drive the gap open...I think.

Anyway, I should have a new gasket on Thursday, and be riding by the weekend.

• Frostbite

Posted May 27, 2008 - 09:21 AM

Ahhh, Frostbite...everyone likes a little, but no one likes a smart one...:bonk: ...

Haha, sorry Birdy, couldn't resist. You were set up so perfectly for the comment, da devil made me do it.:ride:

I'm glad to hear that you found the problem, and it's interesting to me that it was the worst case scenario. I've gotten used to looking for the simple things first, and most of the time that's it, but it's good to be reminded that sometimes it really is the big problem. Good detective work.:thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 27, 2008 - 09:56 AM

I guess it could be said that if you ride your bike like a YZ would be ridden, then take it off. If you ride it like a WR should be ridden, then sooner or later you will need it and be thankful it's there. Remember there aren't too many mx tracks that are all first gear. I really don't see the worry if it's about the weight. If weight was the concern, the WR should not have been the choice anyway.

• Birdy426

Posted May 27, 2008 - 02:34 PM

Haha, sorry Birdy, couldn't resist. You were set up so perfectly for the comment, da devil made me do it:

I knew you would chime in with something, even as I was posting it...

I'm glad to hear that you found the problem, and it's interesting to me that it was the worst case scenario. Good detective work.

I'm not getting excited until I ride it Saturday and all is well. It is good to find a "hard break", but I've been dicking around with this for so long that I'm only guardedly optimistic that it's fixed. I'll post up the results, hopefully, Saturday evening (assuming UPS delivers the gaskets)

• tunefx

Posted May 27, 2008 - 07:38 PM

I guess it could be said that if you ride your bike like a YZ would be ridden, then take it off. If you ride it like a WR should be ridden, then sooner or later you will need it and be thankful it's there. Remember there aren't too many mx tracks that are all first gear. I really don't see the worry if it's about the weight. If weight was the concern, the WR should not have been the choice anyway.

You can say that again! After getting back into this after 25 years off I have no regrets with the WR. The challenge is finding a place to ride here. Back in the day it was enduro and h/s for me (Texas). Now all I can find (Virginia) is mx tracks! Talk about a new learning curve! :lol:

My e-start "YZ" with the wide-ratio gear box is quite fun on some of the tracks. Especially those with long straights. :ride:

I've found one forest area to ride and think your correct about the 1st gear riding w/o a resovoir. One problem, I'm still busting it to get in shape! When I'm to the point I can ride as hard as do the first 10 minutes for a full hour or more then I'll worry about the coolant. :bonk:

I'm overheating before the bike ever has a chance to!! LOL

And, thanks to this GREAT forum--the WR is what I bought. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.