intake hotcam

4 replies to this topic
  • b8enp

Posted May 26, 2008 - 12:51 PM

i,ve the oppertunity of gettin an intake hotcam for my bike at a very reasonable price.but the thing thats puttin me of is i were told its for a 426 n i currently have a 400 so wondering if it would still fit and with there only bein the intake cam would it make a difference to the performance and is it worth it cheers ben

• Birdy426

Posted May 26, 2008 - 01:07 PM

The hotcams website lists the same part numbers for both the 400 and 426, so yes, it will work. The site recommends that the cams be used with big bore 400s or 426's, but when I put mine in I spoke with hotcams and asked them "Why?" (ust currious as I have a 426...) They said yu get a bit more performance boost with the 426, that's all.

As far a what you can expect, if your 400 is "YZ" timed, you can expect a bit more bottom, a huge midrange boost, and a bit more overrev. If your bike is "WR" timed (stock), it will feel like a completely different bike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • b8enp

Posted May 26, 2008 - 01:17 PM

cheers for the help.will i be able to just fit the intake cam and feel a difference or do you have to fit the exhaust cam too.

• Birdy426

Posted May 26, 2008 - 03:56 PM

No...the intake cam gives the peformance boost. The exhaust cam is very similar to the stock YZ cam. You do ge tautodecompression, though, which is well worth the price of admission.

• Solo

Posted May 26, 2008 - 09:00 PM

You can install just the intake. You get the auto decompression with the ex. cam so it's a worthy upgrade to toss in there too. You could always just do the intake for now and add the ex. later. I just put both in mine and wish I had done it sooner.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.