Almost Decapitated a man. Broke my bike. Read/Help!

18 replies to this topic
  • Hardwire

Posted May 25, 2008 - 09:32 PM

I almost crushed a guys melon Friday 5/23/08. Wear a helmet. Wear a helmet. This guy should have had his brains all over my bike but i guess the angle was just right i threw him a couple yards from his quad instead of crushing his body. The guy thought it would be a good idea to use a dune flag but not a helmet?? . There was no way i could have seen that flag the dune was like this: / \ ... As i came over the peak i was air born and couldnt do anything about it. This guy was on my landing strip and if he had not been drinking he could have gassed it and got out of the way. I hit him in his face, smacked his safety sun glasses off, and knocked his shoe off and sent him flying off his quad. I guess that was better than crushing the guy. I luckily just rolled in some sand and got up, ribs still hurt. My bike also hit his bars breaking them along with my radiator and front brake disc.

SO!

I need a Left Radiator for a 06 yz450f and i dont have a lot to spend. I can find one for $270 online but i wanted to ask you guys if anyone could hook me up if they already had one that you could sell me. Or if anyone knows a cheaper place to get one, thanks!

Also the 07 wavy brake disc is cheaper than a 06 brake disc. Anyone know if that would fit my 06 bike?

Thanks again!

• thumpyz

Posted May 25, 2008 - 09:41 PM

I never understood why someone would go to dunes and not wear a helmet. :thumbsup:

• Birdy426

Posted May 26, 2008 - 02:08 AM

Send your radiator to Mylers...those guys can fix anything for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Glad you're OK!

• poakone

Posted May 26, 2008 - 02:15 AM

I agree mylers is the $hizzle... They took a radiator that was twisted into almost a 180 from top to bottom and for like 100.00 it is good as new! and with the re-inforcment they added it should never twist again. I found em in the back of dirt rider:ride: :thumbsup:

• BergArabia

Posted May 26, 2008 - 05:33 AM

Sounds like you got a good tip on the radiator..
I have only jumped over the crest of a dune blind once..
1 broken collar bone and fractured vertebrae later and I don't go over unless I know what is on the other side..

• cadesdad

Posted May 26, 2008 - 05:53 AM

People who don't wear helmets, shouldn't. Also had experience with Mylers, very nice guy, former racer that messed up his back real bad. I watched him fix my radiator right in front of me. Go with Mylers, incredible value!

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2008 - 07:20 AM

On the rotor question, yes, the '07 rotor will fit.

• trxcr

Posted May 26, 2008 - 07:31 AM

You really can't assume there won't be a 'tard in your landing zone when you fly blind.

• Srf2Drt

Posted May 26, 2008 - 08:57 AM

I only have one question. Where was your spotter? If you are jumping blind assume there is going to be some idiot (helmet or not) parked on your landing... Use a spotter!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 26, 2008 - 12:28 PM

Obviously an idiot. No Helmet and sittin in a landing zone.

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2008 - 01:45 PM

I'm with you on the helmet point, but why is sitting near the top of a dune any worse than riding over one blind? The jumper is the one creating the hazard.

• cadesdad

Posted May 26, 2008 - 07:18 PM

Agreed! Live to ride another day, use a spotter.

• Hardwire

Posted May 26, 2008 - 08:40 PM

Yeah my brother danny and my freind ben were at the top as spotters. They were flaling there arms and screaming at the guys to get out of the way. The guys on the quads just thought they were saying hi. I was already climbing the hill from my side as they approached my landing from the other side. There was very little time.

Thanks for the help guys. I will def get the 07 disc, cheaper than my 06 and its wavy. Also going to look into mylers. :thumbsup:

• Mighty_Whitey

Posted May 26, 2008 - 08:50 PM

I ride in Glamis, I also snowboard alot, spent a season as an instructor, and the rules are the same. If your jumping blind or overtaking another, it's YOUR responsability to avoid those below/around you. Your "spotters" should have flagged you off as you were blind.

The guy made a poor decision with not wearing a helmet...I find it odd that he would have no helmet but a flag? Maybe he just took it off while parked?

No matter what, a bad situation and it's good that you're both going to ride again soon.

MW

• Srf2Drt

Posted May 27, 2008 - 06:32 AM

Not the spotters job to wave off incoming traffic in your landing. Their job is to wave YOU off, you are the one jumping...

If there wasn't enough time, then your spotters shouldn't have given you the all clear to begin with. Helmet or not, you could have killed someone and it wouldn't be their fault.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted May 27, 2008 - 07:36 AM

I have ben on the receiving end of someone jumping blind in Glamis only it was a long travel sandrail not a bike. I feel that guys pain and yours too. He should nae have been sitting at the base of a dune that was just plain stupid, but you could have just as easily hit him if he was riding by. It was good that you had spotters and I comend you for that, but next time make sure that they are notifying you not the other people, because when I was 21-22 and sope people were trying to tell me not to ride somewhere I probably wouldnt have listened or i would hve been thouroughly pissed off and started a fight. Yup I used to be a punk ass kid.

• Hardwire

Posted May 27, 2008 - 12:20 PM

I was focusing on the whoops before the hill climb because it was clear when I took off. As for the spotters, like i said they were trying their best to warn the guys on the quads that were close to them to stop, they drove right past them.

We do use spotters and I dont think we could have been any safer. If someone wants to drink and ride and ignor warnings they are going to get hurt end of story, especially if they dont wear a helmet.

If it had been anyone else such as a child they would have been dead. This guy was pretty big but i still hope he went and saw a dr. Trust me i felt like shit for hitting the guy. the spotters were pissed off but still we made sure the guy was ok.

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 27, 2008 - 12:53 PM

You really can't assume there won't be a 'tard in your landing zone when you fly blind.

This would be an AWESOME sig:ride: :thumbsup:

• WB450

Posted May 28, 2008 - 07:26 AM

Use a spotter!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.