CDI Problems?

4 replies to this topic
  • MikeDD

Posted May 25, 2008 - 12:08 PM

I'm not quite sure what the problem with my 07 450 is. It has been randomly stalling out and dying at idle. It is then very difficult to get started after that. The bike has low hours and has been well maintained. I changed the spark plug, fuel and airfilter without any help to the problem. The problem has seemed to get progressivly worse as well.

The bike always starts first kick when its cold and usually starts first kick when its hot untill this problem occurs. It seems like it could be heat related as well becuase once the bike cools completly it starts easily.

To me it seems as though it could be an ignition problem but would a CDI act in this manner? Anyhow I am pretty confused and searches aren't revealing anything to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• William1

Posted May 25, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Check your valve clearances.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2008 - 05:53 PM

There have been a number of stators fail in the '07's. Intermittent electrical problems are the absolute worst to try to trouble shoot, but you might try running it until it begins to act up, then rap on the stator cover while doing the continuity test to see if you can make the readout change ( an analog meter is best for this )

• thumpyz

Posted May 25, 2008 - 09:37 PM

check your kill switch, if it is pulled from the housing or been pinched it may be randomly shorting out and causing poor performance. This happened to me when i installed handguards (pinched the wire) and it caused some weird problems until i figured it out. It would be just fine one moment and be completely gutless and hard to start for no apaernt reason. good luck.

• MikeDD

Posted May 25, 2008 - 10:30 PM

Check your valve clearances.

William I checked the valves less than 10 hours ago. I thought this could have been a problem initially but then I thought if it really is a valve clearance issue that the problem would be more consistent. The problem I am having is completely random. It happens usually after a steady cruise and then coming to a stop and idling but not always. Sometimes the bike runs just fine, but recently though it has been acting up more often.

There have been a number of stators fail in the '07's. Intermittent electrical problems are the absolute worst to try to trouble shoot, but you might try running it until it begins to act up, then rap on the stator cover while doing the continuity test to see if you can make the readout change ( an analog meter is best for this )

Gray, I did notice that a lot of people with 07's were having stator problems. Some as soon as just a couple rides on the bike. One thing I did do was have the stator wired for lights from Lake and Trail. The stalling problem didn't start until about 20 hours after I got the stator back from L&T. But what L&T did was to add to the existing stator to run the lights. So I don't think that should have any effect on the stalling issue.

Thanks for the testing advice. I am going to try recreate the problem while I test it. If that doesn’t work I guess I’ll just buy a new cdi and see if that fixes the problem. I can’t think of anything else it would be.

Thanks again for all of the help!

check your kill switch, if it is pulled from the housing or been pinched it may be randomly shorting out and causing poor performance. This happened to me when i installed handguards (pinched the wire) and it caused some weird problems until i figured it out. It would be just fine one moment and be completely gutless and hard to start for no apaernt reason. good luck.

I havn't messed with the kill switch at all but I will take a look at it. The bike doesn't have any power loss under load. It does have a miss or a stumble every once in a while at steady throttle. It has done that since new as much as I can remember though. Maybe the stumble has worsened enough to cuase it to stall at idle. Under power though the bike has no stumble or hesitation which is why I never thought of it as a problem.

Thanks for the input thumpyz

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.