02' 426 difficult to start after top end job

4 replies to this topic
  • ryder426

Posted May 25, 2008 - 06:31 AM

Hi guys

I'm the original owner of m 02 426. I just tore the bike down to the frame and rebuilt the top end (engine is my concern for this thread). We've inspected the valves and they are within tolerance, and the bike gets plenty of compression. The carburator is clean, and we're getting a good spark from the plug.
The problem is, I have to make the following sequence to get the bike to fire up cold:

2 twists of throttle
open hot start
kick 2-3 times. When engine fires, immediately ramp RPM's to maintain idle
run for 30 seconds.
close hot start.
open choke. Now the bike idles normally with the choke open

When I close the choke, its like I've turned the gas off. The bike immeidately dies.

Its somewhat strange since we did not need to make any adjustments to valves, or carburation after the bike was reabuilt since it ran OK before.

Any advice is appriciated.

• grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2008 - 07:03 AM

It sounds as if the carb is not clean. If it sat all the time you worked on the rest of the bike, it's possible that the pilot jet became "lacquered" shut with dried fuel residue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rexbond007

Posted May 25, 2008 - 07:33 AM

Do you have to twist the throttle to keep the bike running?

• ryder426

Posted May 26, 2008 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I took the pilot jet out and blasted it with compressed air, and hit it with carb cleaner. I also pulled and cleaned the main jet, needle jet, starter jet, and pilot screw. No dice. Still wont start unless I follow the proceedure above.

WHen I have the choke pushed in I have to keep the throttle at about 1/4 turn to keep it running.

I might pull that pilot jet out of there one more time to see if i can see daylight through it. Maybe I missed some built up crud? Any other suggestions?

thanks guys

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2008 - 09:31 AM

Your problem still sounds as if the pilot circuit is not delivering fuel. Verify that the air passage running from the face of the carb to the pilot is clear, and that the passage running up from the jet into the air stream is open also.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.