2004 ktm 250 exc spooge problem with new jetting

3 replies to this topic
  • levy1

Posted May 24, 2008 - 07:11 PM

2004 KTM (of course) 250 EXC, Rekluse, fairly new top end. I never had a spooge problem before but when you would get on the motor it had a slight hesitation and then Pow, it would hook up.

Decided to try a JD kit. By the way this was my first time doing this and it was fairly easy on my bike.

Old numbers 38 Pilot N3-H needle (hard to read) clip in 4th position, 3rd groove 160 main air screw 1 1/2 out

JD kit 40 Pilot Red needle clip in 4th position 3rd groove 162 main air screw 2 out

I am not sure it I have the air screw correct, it was hard to feel it bottom out but the bike idles and runs fine.

With the JD kit the hesitation is gone and the bike seems much smoother. Only problem is I see a little spooge dripping out of the tail pipe after a 3 mile test ride. I rode it hard.

Packing in silencer is 2 months old.

0 elevation, 70 degrees

Hard trail rider, couple of hare scrambles a year

Am I too fat? (rich) Is this a problem?

• EastBoundAndDown

Posted May 24, 2008 - 07:34 PM

That slight hesitation may have been a lean bog. Going up one size in both Main and Pilot probably resolved that, but made you ultimately run richer. Oil spooge is better than lousy performance...

What is this JD kit? How does someone tell you where you're air screw should be? Have you done a plug chop to see if 162/42 is close to being correct? Everybike and condition varies.... Someone's jetting reccomendation may make it so you don't foul plugs or seize top ends, but in order to acheive optimal performance, you may have to do a little testing yourself.

- Do a plug chop to see IF you're running rich/lean
-After you do this, and you're not running too rich, attack the spooge problem. Switch pre-mix brand, mix at a different ratio, re-pack silencer (don't know how many riding hours 2 months is)....

If you don't know how to do a plug chop, check for a sticky on this forum. If there isn't such a sticky, then god help the jetting section on TT.

• levy1

Posted May 25, 2008 - 03:45 AM

That slight hesitation may have been a lean bog. Going up one size in both Main and Pilot probably resolved that, but made you ultimately run richer. Oil spooge is better than lousy performance...

What is this JD kit? How does someone tell you where you're air screw should be? Have you done a plug chop to see if 162/42 is close to being correct? Every bike and condition varies.... Someone's jetting reccomendation may make it so you don't foul plugs or seize top ends, but in order to acheive optimal performance, you may have to do a little testing yourself.

- Do a plug chop to see IF you're running rich/lean
-After you do this, and you're not running too rich, attack the spooge problem. Switch pre-mix brand, mix at a different ratio, re-pack silencer (don't know how many riding hours 2 months is)....

If you don't know how to do a plug chop, check for a sticky on this forum. If there isn't such a sticky, then god help the jetting section on TT.

Do a search and you will find the extremely popular JD (James Dean) who is considered a expert on jetting. He has his own designed needles. Gives you a kit with 2 needles and several jets and the kits are usually spot on. He is able to eliminate bogs in a lot of bike by getting the jetting in the range it should be no matter what modifications you have done. He also posts on forums and freely helps anyone. In addition you can call or email him and he will answer back. Truly a pioneer of our sport and a all around good guy.
http://www.jdjetting.../xcart/home.php

• jackrichmond100

Posted October 19, 2009 - 03:02 PM

That hesitation just before taking off and revving out hard is so familar to me. This has always been because I was one step to rich on the mail. Try going back to the 160 main.

Also, two strokes don't like to be revved at max RPM more than about 5 seconds at a time or else you are looking at locking up your cylinder with a thrown ring (I learned the hard way.) If you are on a flat out straight stretch and need to rev it long and hard, hit the kill button every five seconds to allow the incoming fuel mixture to lube the cylinder for a microsecond. If you MAX rev a lot due to your preference of your favorite riding area, gear up to 15 tooth on the front and change to at least 47 - maybe 45 - on the rear. It lets me keep up with the 450s. But continue using the kill button trick. The Kawie Baja factory boys used this trick all the time on their big KX500s.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.