Can't decide WR 426

8 replies to this topic
  • wick246

Posted May 24, 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hi all.

I found an '02 WR 426 for sale and cannot decide if I should buy it or not. It's supposed to be a low mileage/hrs bike and shows 550 something miles on the odometer however the paint is worn off the left side of the frame around the frame from boot wear. I got the bike to start after some effort but it would die as soon as I put into gear. I searched and read about the clutch needing to warm up first so I think that will be o.k. Seller was asking $2600 but accepted my $2300 offer. The seller claims it's still on the original rear tire but the rim has a newer purple looking logo - Maxis or something. Needs to be cleaned and the plastic is all scratched up but I don't see any signs that the fenders have been folded or anything. Any thoughts on things about this bike I'm not seeing? I'll post the pics in a minute...

Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

• off_road_4_me

Posted May 24, 2008 - 10:10 AM

to be honest it doesnt look bad too me, its been on its side before, but I bet you wont find a dirtbike that hasnt unless it was ridden once then put away.
i say go for it.

• swede426

Posted May 24, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Dont bother how it looks, take it for a good long ride and check the engine out and see that the main frame is straight (you notice it if the bike goes straight and steers similar both ways).
I bought mine from a guy that used it to keep watch over his reindeers.
It looked like crap and the plastics were croked and halfbroken, the handlebar was replaced and both handles were broken in the middle.
They run this terrain that are unpredictable and they crash it some times, but the wr has a tough frame so it often goes good.
I took it for a ride and the engine was feeling good and frame was straightlined so I bought it.
When they work with their herds, they never press the engines longer periods so the engine was in real good shape and after some jetting and opening up it really ripped.
Plastics are cheap, engines are not..

• WildRide

Posted May 24, 2008 - 12:25 PM

Is that an 18" rear rim? It sure looks like a 19" to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wick246

Posted May 24, 2008 - 01:26 PM

I took a chance and went and picked it up. Got it home and tried to start it - fires right up now. Let it warm up and put it into gear and she didn't die. :ride: Thanks for the replies, I didn't get a chance to ride it except for a short distance (no room). It ended up being a 2001 and not a 2002. That doesn't bother me much, I don't believe the seller meant to decieve. The rear wheel is a 19, so it has been changed. I'll have to search and see the advantages or disadvantages of a 19 over an 18. Everything around the engine looks very clean. I'll read up on it and change the fluids and filters which should tell more of the story. Yep she has tipped over a couple of times but I doubt there are many 6 - 7 year old bikes that are perfect. I'm very happy to pay a third the cost of a new bike while I learn to ride in the dirt. :thumbsup:

• off_road_4_me

Posted May 24, 2008 - 01:32 PM

I took a chance and went and picked it up. Got it home and tried to start it - fires right up now. Let it warm up and put it into gear and she didn't die. :ride: Thanks for the replies, I didn't get a chance to ride it except for a short distance (no room). It ended up being a 2001 and not a 2002. That doesn't bother me much, I don't believe the seller meant to decieve. The rear wheel is a 19, so it has been changed. I'll have to search and see the advantages or disadvantages of a 19 over an 18. Everything around the engine looks very clean. I'll read up on it and change the fluids and filters which should tell more of the story. Yep she has tipped over a couple of times but I doubt there are many 6 - 7 year old bikes that are perfect. I'm very happy to pay a third the cost of a new bike while I learn to ride in the dirt. :thumbsup:

hehehe, the wr will make an excellent bike for you, for info on 18 vs 19 for off road, view this thread I made :bonk:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=644253
and when your ready, and if they havent all ready been done, do these mods too it, this is for a 250f but they are applicable to the 426 and 450 as well :lol:
http://www.thumperfa...ree_mods.htm#WR
and you can get it too start, but heres the correct procedure :mad:
http://www.thumperfa...rting_drill.htm

• swede426

Posted May 24, 2008 - 01:48 PM

I took a chance and went and picked it up. Got it home and tried to start it - fires right up now. Let it warm up and put it into gear and she didn't die. :bonk: Thanks for the replies, I didn't get a chance to ride it except for a short distance (no room). It ended up being a 2001 and not a 2002. That doesn't bother me much, I don't believe the seller meant to decieve. The rear wheel is a 19, so it has been changed. I'll have to search and see the advantages or disadvantages of a 19 over an 18. Everything around the engine looks very clean. I'll read up on it and change the fluids and filters which should tell more of the story. Yep she has tipped over a couple of times but I doubt there are many 6 - 7 year old bikes that are perfect. I'm very happy to pay a third the cost of a new bike while I learn to ride in the dirt. :ride:

Good for you, good luck with the bike and keep us updated how it goes with mods and everything.:thumbsup:

• Thaulass

Posted May 24, 2008 - 02:29 PM

If it's an 01 don't worry mines runs like a top all stock. Change the oil regularly and they don't like to start when you have a wet( fresh) air filter. Get it street legalized they make a great dual sport.

• doctorchopper

Posted May 25, 2008 - 11:46 AM

i find 19" motocross tires are cheaper than the 18" and more of a selection, not as many enduro legal tires for the 19" as the 18", i wouldn't bother changing it

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.