transmission assembly question....

6 replies to this topic
  • matt4x4

Posted May 23, 2008 - 03:00 AM

In the process of reassembling the tranny on my 2000 wr400f, there's one thing that is causing me some confusion with regards to the tranny assembly.
The pic I'm showing isn't from the manual, however, the manual shows the order of assembly to be the same as this exploded diagram, so for ease of reference, I'm using this parts diagram.
The tranny axle shaft has a rubber O-Ring right at the output end of the shaft.
Assembly instructions call for putting the O-ring (#27) on the shaft BEFORE dropping the tranny assembly into the left case. My problem with this is that if it's put into the groove where it is supposed to sit (right where #13 points to) it would require the O-ring to push through the Bearing (#24) during assembly making the job so much harder.
I don't have a problem putting the O-ring on after installing the tranny in the case (out of order from every diagram), however, I'm starting to second guess the location of the O-ring because of all this, is it possible the O-ring actually sits on the inner side of the bearing?
Anyone know for sure?

Posted Image

• Frostbite

Posted May 23, 2008 - 04:18 AM

In the process of reassembling the tranny on my 2000 wr400f, there's one thing that is causing me some confusion with regards to the tranny assembly.
The pic I'm showing isn't from the manual, however, the manual shows the order of assembly to be the same as this exploded diagram, so for ease of reference, I'm using this parts diagram.
The tranny axle shaft has a rubber O-Ring right at the output end of the shaft.
Assembly instructions call for putting the O-ring (#27) on the shaft BEFORE dropping the tranny assembly into the left case. My problem with this is that if it's put into the groove where it is supposed to sit (right where #13 points to) it would require the O-ring to push through the Bearing (#24) during assembly making the job so much harder.
I don't have a problem putting the O-ring on after installing the tranny in the case (out of order from every diagram), however, I'm starting to second guess the location of the O-ring because of all this, is it possible the O-ring actually sits on the inner side of the bearing?
Anyone know for sure?

Posted Image

Hey Matt

I've had my 400 tranny apart many times. I never had a problem assembling with the O ring in place, but I'm pretty sure you can install it afterwards.

It's been a while, but I remember oil leaking out around my sprocket after a rebuild. I thought it was the seal and had a spare and popped it in, but it still leaked. It was the O-ring. The O-ring makes a seal inside the collar. I popped a new one in and that cured the leak.

The O ring sits outside of the bearing, and the collar sits against the bearing and the seal is inside the collar.

I think that it's easily accessible with the seal and the collar removed.

• matt4x4

Posted May 23, 2008 - 04:46 AM

Thanks Frosty!
That's what I thought, I think they kinda screwed up on the diagrams, because the collar can't go on until the shaft is in place, and because of that, there's always enough space to slide the o-ring in even with the seal already installed because the seal is bigger than the shaft to accomodate the collar - I'm not installing the seal until later.
Hopefully, I'll get the cases back together tonight, just trying to find a place that sells extra arms/hands because it looks like dropping it all in place while holding it all together is likely the biggest feat to overcome on one of these rebuilds!
I'm sure some beer will help though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted May 23, 2008 - 05:39 AM

Thanks Frosty!
That's what I thought, I think they kinda screwed up on the diagrams, because the collar can't go on until the shaft is in place, and because of that, there's always enough space to slide the o-ring in even with the seal already installed because the seal is bigger than the shaft to accomodate the collar - I'm not installing the seal until later.
Hopefully, I'll get the cases back together tonight, just trying to find a place that sells extra arms/hands because it looks like dropping it all in place while holding it all together is likely the biggest feat to overcome on one of these rebuilds!
I'm sure some beer will help though.

It is tricky setting in place, especially trying to keep the shift forks in the gears and the drum as you slide everything in. Run through all the gears before you bolt the rest of the engine together. I’ve had a fork in the wrong groove on the shift drum before. It would shift through a few gears OK, but not all, and there’s nothing worse than stripping it all apart again.

I took lots of pictures during assembly and remember quite a bit of the process, so if you hit any snags I may be able to help.

• matt4x4

Posted May 23, 2008 - 06:22 AM

I think I came up with an idea to help me get it all in easier - butcher twine, I'm just going to wrap it like a roast, then stuff it all in. It'll allow me to wiggle parts without it all falling apart during the process, cut the twine off once I'm done.
Hell, I've already had BBQ cases last night (Yum!) might as well go for the full roast setup.

Was actually thinking of throwing a couple of hotdogs on beside the cases while they were warming, then my son said - "dad, if you do that, you're going to need Oscar Meyer Wiener Graphics because your bike's gonna smell like wieners for a while."

• Frostbite

Posted May 23, 2008 - 06:58 AM

I think I came up with an idea to help me get it all in easier - butcher twine, I'm just going to wrap it like a roast, then stuff it all in. It'll allow me to wiggle parts without it all falling apart during the process, cut the twine off once I'm done.
Hell, I've already had BBQ cases last night (Yum!) might as well go for the full roast setup.

Was actually thinking of throwing a couple of hotdogs on beside the cases while they were warming, then my son said - "dad, if you do that, you're going to need Oscar Meyer Wiener Graphics because your bike's gonna smell like wieners for a while."

Funny!
Were you heating the cases to help with bearing installation? I’d do the opposite – toss the bearings outside. A few minutes at -40 and they’d fall right in. Of course the hotdogs would freeze……..

• matt4x4

Posted May 23, 2008 - 07:23 AM

haha - yup, threw the bearings in the freezer as well, dropped right in, 1-2-3-4 repeat other side.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.