'08 450 with 47 hours = locked up :(

104 replies to this topic
  • swaldrop

Posted June 09, 2008 - 07:39 PM

BIg Steve.. it's springer

First off nice smiley face in your title ha ha Anyway after reading all of this i think about 3 people actually know what they are talking about. Love the guys that post my bike has 1 million hours on my bike no problems. LIke this is a brag about how many hours your bike has and how slow you are so you can put another million hours on it. Anyway this whole situation sucks, I hope this or anything with bikes breaking never happens to you or me ever!!! I was set on getting 09 after my year off to relax but now i am freaked out about getting another bike because of YOU.. fix it cheap and trade it in and not on a 250F.. somebody please tell him 450's almost 99% of the time are more reliable.

how's WILLLLL IEEE He still kicking people out of A- B practice for not keeping steady lap times... lol Then kicking us out of C class back to A-B for doing all the jumps. lets get 09 HOnda's

Oh man... I've already made my decision... I am going to get a 250F. I may hang on to the 450 and take my time getting it fixed to save some money, but the next time I'm on the track I'll be YZ250F'n. No Honda's...

Willie's gone. He came back and helped out for this last series we had, but I don't think he's going to come back to work practice days. He still doesn't have any shoes though.

• sirthumpalot

Posted June 10, 2008 - 03:45 PM

if it's not covered by warranty, then this is the perfect excuse to send it off to an engine builder and have them make you something sweet. You're buying a bunch of new parts anyway, the price probably won't be that much more.

No matter what it is, if it's manufactured a certain number will fail. Any motorcycle, car, etc.. In general some are more reliable than others, but you probably just got back luck on this one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted June 11, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Anyone know what the pros and cons of using an '06 head would be? What kind of problems or benefits would I see? Would the head pipe off the '08 even fit?

I have been weighing my options and calling around. Looks like '08 heads are back ordered at the moment and I wouldn't get it until the end of July. Does it seem weird to anyone else that this part is in such a demand that it is back ordered for over 6 weeks? Who else is having these issues? Seems awfully familiar... Anyone remember a certain '06 bike having a recall on their intake valves? I sure do...

• Eric57Nelson

Posted June 11, 2008 - 07:19 PM

Anyone know what the pros and cons of using an '06 head would be? What kind of problems or benefits would I see? Would the head pipe off the '08 even fit?

I have been weighing my options and calling around. Looks like '08 heads are back ordered at the moment and I wouldn't get it until the end of July. Does it seem weird to anyone else that this part is in such a demand that it is back ordered for over 6 weeks? Who else is having these issues? Seems awfully familiar... Anyone remember a certain '06 bike having a recall on their intake valves? I sure do...

I do remember a valve recall, it was not on the 450 only the 250F. Have you thought that maybe your the problem with the bike? I remember a while back the you had non stop clutch problems on your 250F, now you dropped a valve on your 450, I would go back to 2 strokes.

• swaldrop

Posted June 11, 2008 - 08:16 PM

I do remember a valve recall, it was not on the 450 only the 250F. Have you thought that maybe your the problem with the bike? I remember a while back the you had non stop clutch problems on your 250F, now you dropped a valve on your 450, I would go back to 2 strokes.

I know the recall was on 250F's (I had an '06 YZ250F) but the design and materials are pretty close. And yes, I have thought that 'I' may be the problem. I am hard on my bikes, no doubt about it, but I also take great care of them (off the track, of course). All of the talk about how people can put 100s of hours on their bikes and only change the oil drives me crazy... Seems like if there is a part on my bike that 'can' wear out, it will.

I have also kicked the idea around about going back to a 2 stroke, but I just don't see it happening.

So, back to the issue at hand... Anyone have any wisdom about the '06 head on the '08?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.