wr400 vs. 400exc. and 426 vs 520 ktm

2 replies to this topic
  • sound

Posted February 05, 2001 - 06:03 PM

The 400 exc won out in June db mag. It didnt have the ponies of the wr400 but had other attributes. However a more recent mag put the yz 426f ahead of the ktm 520 sx. It seems to me that only in all out mx form is the Yamaha showing its true colors, and Ktm still ooffers a superior (more rounded) multi purpose bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR400inOZ

Posted February 05, 2001 - 09:12 PM

I didnt think the Yamaha was a multipurpose bike? WR400/426 = Bush , YZ426 = Track ??

Your comparing Enduro to MX??

I've read all sorts of write ups, and various opinions and attributes are great.. but I'm just trying to see the meaning of your post here? Are you saying that Yamaha produce a better MX bike than Enduro bike? Or are you saying KTM are a better bike than Yamaha? I ride a WR400 because it suits me in many ways, not because a dirtbike mag says one has better attributes than another.

This is'nt a dig.. Im just trying to understand what your post is about :)

• Taffy

Posted February 10, 2001 - 02:50 AM

that db write up was very kind to yamaha in that they gave the bike an open exhaust.

after bikes have been tested standard they ought to try & eliminate the easy & obvious floors in the bikes for a few quid.

which bike would have won the test if everyone could spend just $500?

yz timing is free
tank & seat $300 (i think?)
top clamp with bars forward $200

sussies $500. then a very good bike i believe.

great out the crate & expensive too

i think the yam would beat the KTM in that kind of test.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.