Only Got 85 Miles On Ims 3.1 Gal Tank

6 replies to this topic
  • Dube2

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:14 AM

Hey Guys,
My first time I ran the tank to reserve this past weekend in Dove Springs. I ran with some Bros of mine. We all had IMS tanks and I seem to get a lot worse MPG than them. We made an 80 mile loop and I ran out of gas goin to the restroom at 85 miles. Not sure what was left on reserve, I was next to camp when I ran out.
I also noticed that in the slow technical stuff, my 08 WR was the only one not bubbling in the resevore. It didn't seem to be running too good either. When cruising it poped and slagged a little, but when on the throttle, she took of like a bat out of hell. Was it running too rich?. Basically stock with AIS kit installed and pipe uncorked.

All the other guys had fuel left over.........

Any ideas?

• mvryder

Posted May 22, 2008 - 10:41 AM

I have an 07 with and AIS kit. I think the jetting on that kit is really rich which may contribute to bad fuel economy. I switched to a JD jet kit and my millage improved.

• tblrk2008

Posted May 22, 2008 - 12:33 PM

Pull and check your fuel petcock and make sure there arent little shavings of plastic getting in the way of the fuel filter. The tanks are usually full of plastic shavings that wont come out unless washed out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted May 22, 2008 - 04:44 PM

Sounds about right. On my desert bike (04 WR450) with the YZ cam I avg about 26 - 28 mpg if I'm on it hard. 3.1 * 26 = 80.6 miles. On my plated bike (03 WR450) with the stock cam and a little more conservative pace I get closer to 40 mpg. These bikes are very sensitive to how you ride them when it comes to mileage. Remember every time you twist the throttle the accelerator pump is squirtin fuel.

• Idaho450

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Had a similar deal on my '07. The AIS kit came with a 50 pilot, which was way too rich. Went back to a 45 and the mileage went back up. On the slow stuff you're on the pilot a lot.

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 23, 2008 - 12:30 AM

Yeah, I had that 3.1 ims tank on my 07 for a while, and 85 mi sounds about right. You can scrounge a few more out of the reserve, maybe 10 or 15. It's all about the gatorade bottle full of gas in the back pack. Even if you personally don't need it, one of your buddies probably will.

• Dube2

Posted May 23, 2008 - 06:47 AM

Yeah, I had that 3.1 ims tank on my 07 for a while, and 85 mi sounds about right. You can scrounge a few more out of the reserve, maybe 10 or 15. It's all about the gatorade bottle full of gas in the back pack. Even if you personally don't need it, one of your buddies probably will.

Funny about the gatoraid bottle, I usaully carry one and the one trip I forgot it, I ran out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.