bleu to green

19 replies to this topic
  • cutoff

Posted May 21, 2008 - 09:24 PM

my 2004 WR450 just died last week end. Wide open in 5th the rear wheel stoped and the engine stall. Back home i opened the engine to find that i need new piston and cylinder, so far no big deal 430$ fix. Then i check the crankshaft and found the connecting rod bearing has a hard spot. Now i need to split the engine and replace the crankshaft:foul: . Thats it for Yamaha...:thumbsup: i'm going green next weekend with a brand new KX450:thumbsup:

• Himsa123

Posted May 21, 2008 - 10:50 PM

my 2004 WR450 just died last week end. Wide open in 5th the rear wheel stoped and the engine stall. Back home i opened the engine to find that i need new piston and cylinder, so far no big deal 430$ fix. Then i check the crankshaft and found the connecting rod bearing has a hard spot. Now i need to split the engine and replace the crankshaft:foul: . Thats it for Yamaha...:thumbsup: i'm going green next weekend with a brand new KX450:thumbsup:

:ride:

• ETP

Posted May 22, 2008 - 05:17 AM

my 2004 WR450 just died last week end. Wide open in 5th the rear wheel stoped and the engine stall. Back home i opened the engine to find that i need new piston and cylinder, so far no big deal 430$ fix. Then i check the crankshaft and found the connecting rod bearing has a hard spot. Now i need to split the engine and replace the crankshaft:foul: . Thats it for Yamaha...:ride: i'm going green next weekend with a brand new KX450:thumbsup:

Bummer for ya man. Was the bike well maintained? Valves, clean oil, etc.? How many miles on motor?
No need to dis the blue.:bonk:
Isolated incident. Lots of 450's out there with high miles and zero maintenance issues.:thumbsup:

• tblrk2008

Posted May 22, 2008 - 07:32 AM

You are aware that four strokes are time bombs?......not IF they blow, but WHEN....especially with words like WIDE OPEN in there. And yes they are expensive to fix. All things being considered, yamaha probably has the best reliability record. So quit being a puz and get a big bore kit and have fun. Or get a 2-smoke.

• chickenstrips

Posted May 22, 2008 - 08:43 AM

Guys! I Ran Out Of Oil. And I Had To Hurry To Get More So I Was Wot In 5th And It Blew Up. This Bike Sucks I Herd Kawasakis Can Run On No Oil> Im Getting One Of Those.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 22, 2008 - 09:27 AM

Anyone in the know, knows that the Yammi hi-perf 4T is unequaled in reliabilityThey are the XR's of the 21st century.:ride:

I also don't agree with the statement that they are time bombs.... expensive to fix IF something happens? Yes, definitely:thumbsdn:

Go ahead and go green, you'll finally get to see what a WR looks like from behind :thumbsup:

• broccoli2

Posted May 22, 2008 - 09:58 AM

Guys! I Ran Out Of Oil. And I Had To Hurry To Get More So I Was Wot In 5th And It Blew Up. This Bike Sucks I Herd Kawasakis Can Run On No Oil> Im Getting One Of Those.

Now that is funny right there.... :thumbsup: :ride: :bonk: Yep, I think you should go buy a kawi and drain the oil first thing, that way you never have to change it:bonk: :lol:
Hey I also here they don't need air filters

• honeycutt

Posted May 22, 2008 - 10:24 AM

I've heard nothing good about Kawasaki reliabilty wise. Well other than the KLX 110. There's a reason they are the same color as a hand grenade:p :ride: :thumbsup:

• TWILES

Posted May 22, 2008 - 11:02 AM

I read about all the different MX and Off-road bikes on here in the bike-specific forums and I'd be a little worried about a Kawasaki or Honda. Every brand will have their issues but there's a check-list of stuff you are supposed to do to the KX before you even ride it. As a mid-tall guy, I'd probably go for the CR before the KX. I don't fit on the YZ or RM.

• Frank_z28

Posted May 22, 2008 - 11:05 AM

translation : "My father buyed me a wr, i dont know how to change gear because im used to snowmobile clutch so i reach cutoff in every gear. My motor probably seized because i completly stripped the oil filter bolt and all the steel feel in the block. I want a kawasaki because they have black wheel and the chicks loves black wheel ill be pimp. Since kawa arent supposed to be reliable ill just hang out at the track and do cutoff in the parking lot then go on their forum an QQ about their bad valvetrain"

I hope no one let you ride their bike while you wait for your new one

:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frank_z28

Posted May 22, 2008 - 12:09 PM

Go ahead and go green, you'll finally get to see what a WR looks like from behind :thumbsup:

hehehe he is used to run behind mine and eat the dust :ride:

• shrubitup

Posted May 22, 2008 - 03:28 PM

That sucks but a KX450F could also blow up too. Even the venerable two strokes will blow up if you mix them at 75:1 or never change the top end. Bikes need maintenance.

• redswr

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:17 PM

i love how everyone rags on the few people that have problems with the WR's...lol. my 99 400 has at least 1,000 hours worth of dune riding on it and probably 500 hours of dirt... runs like a champ (well minus the boiling over 5 seconds after i start it...lol)

• groundpounder450

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:32 PM

<---- taking bets on how long it takes'em to blow a green bike up..... u know there green so u can hide it on the trails when it tears up.... also u'll prolly need a new pair of boots to hoof it back to the truck.... all and all tho ANYTHING run WFO is gonna bomb out on ya sooner or later.....

• driftevo361

Posted May 22, 2008 - 07:29 PM

Why kawasaki? What about honda, suzuki,husky,gasgas,ktm? Maybe you broke the piston because you were wide open? "Ya Dude, I was full throt for a whole 10 minutes until my piston and cylinder broke!"

• hillclimbguy

Posted May 22, 2008 - 08:24 PM

No matter what color the bike. If you run with no lubrication something is going to break, if not now it will later.

• dustdogg

Posted May 22, 2008 - 08:48 PM

Funny how after his second post his bike happened to blow up.

• redswr

Posted May 22, 2008 - 10:43 PM

i feel bad for cutoff... he didn't say anything about his maintance... that was chickenstrips, see below

umm.... he said he was in 5th. i've had it WOT in 5th plenty of times...

translation : "My father buyed me a wr, i dont know how to change gear because im used to snowmobile clutch so i reach cutoff in every gear. My motor probably seized because i completly stripped the oil filter bolt and all the steel feel in the block. I want a kawasaki because they have black wheel and the chicks loves black wheel ill be pimp. Since kawa arent supposed to be reliable ill just hang out at the track and do cutoff in the parking lot then go on their forum an QQ about their bad valvetrain"

I hope no one let you ride their bike while you wait for your new one

:thumbsup:

• pdrides

Posted May 25, 2008 - 05:00 AM

:thumbsup: Wow, tough room! I guess cutoff doesn't get the whole pride of ownership thing. Although I gotta admit if I could afford to swap out bikes like that then I might be out on the trails a wee bit more:thinking: I guess you could say I'm GREEN w/ envy:lame: Sorry, couldn't resist. Well anyway, Cutoff if you ever come back to Blue let us know what it was like over on the dark side!

• cutoff

Posted May 26, 2008 - 09:01 AM

Ok guys , stop bullshitting about the colors. I'm an aircraft mecanic and i do a very good maintenance on my bike. But the engine blew up anyway. Now my WR is back in the trails after a 6 hours job and 12 beers... ( no more KX 450 2008 available in Quebec) I did enjoy my last sunday ride with my old bike Week-end Warrior will blast you in the trails

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.