Dropped a valve and have a question!!

2 replies to this topic
  • Crash535

Posted May 21, 2008 - 07:49 PM

I dropped a valve in my 2004 wr 450. It messed up the head and piston pretty bad. However the cylinder looks to be in pretty decent shape. A couple of nicks high on the cylinder. I am going to have a company that resleeves cylinders have a look at it.

My Question is whether I need to replace the rod and crankshaft? If I don't have to split the case I don't want to.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

PS great forums learned alot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted May 22, 2008 - 03:56 AM

my 2000 is nikasil plated, not sleeved, pretty sure an 04 is too...
Get it replated and rehoned - not too expensive to do.
For your rod/crankshaft inspection, pull up/down on the shaft, there should be NO play, side to side play is allowed, don't worry if you see a blued spot on the crank that's factory.

• Crash535

Posted May 22, 2008 - 05:08 AM

Your Right it is plated and I have been talking to a company that reconditions heads and cylinders. Looks like they may have some work coming there way. The rod doesn't seem to have any play up and down. Looks like it may just be a topend build then.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.