426 cam slip? how to tell

2 replies to this topic
  • brent426

Posted May 21, 2008 - 01:16 PM

First of all thanks for all the replies on my last few questions. This site is great. This 426 that I am rebuilding is giveing me a few questions after reading some of these forms. The motor blew the top end and I am reusing the oe cams. I dont mind the starting process with the exhaust cam either. Anyway from what I have been reading my cam my have slipped when it locked up. Does anyone have pics where the lobes should line up when the cams are positioned correctly in the head? Also I have a lincon mig welder and can I put a couple tacks without any issues to keep them in place.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Twistedtrik

Posted May 21, 2008 - 02:32 PM

My intake cam on my 2000 426 slipped about 4 1/2 teeth. I did some searching and found that if they are correctly degreed that with the timing marks lined up both sets of lobes will face opposite (exhaust faced forward and intake faced rearward) and both sets of lobes will point up slightly. Not - - but \ / . That illustration is a bit extreme but you get the point. I am just waiting to order my new Hot Cams so i can put mine back together.

• 642MX

Posted May 21, 2008 - 03:13 PM

First of all thanks for all the replies on my last few questions. This site is great. This 426 that I am rebuilding is giveing me a few questions after reading some of these forms. The motor blew the top end and I am reusing the oe cams. I dont mind the starting process with the exhaust cam either. Anyway from what I have been reading my cam my have slipped when it locked up. Does anyone have pics where the lobes should line up when the cams are positioned correctly in the head? Also I have a lincon mig welder and can I put a couple tacks without any issues to keep them in place.

If you think that the cam gear slipped on the shaft then replace the cams. You can find a set on eBay for next to nothing. Or upgrade to a set of hot cams, I have a set and they are excellent for more mid range torque!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.