Does anyone else actually like their decompression lever?? Or am I just wierd?

15 replies to this topic
  • krust36

Posted May 21, 2008 - 10:12 AM

I read all these threads about people saying the decompression lever is a PITA. I love mine.

As long as I follow the starting routine the decompression lever makes my 400 the easiest bike I own to start. The same resistance everytime I kick it. No kicks starting halfway through a stroke. It also makes it much easier to clean out if I crash and it floods. Pull in the lever, a few EASY kicks, do the routine and it starts. No other 4-stroke that I have ridden starts as consistently as my 400 with the kick starter. Granted the magic button is nice, but I'd rather not deal with all the extra weight.

I wish my new 250F had a decompression lever.

• matt4x4

Posted May 21, 2008 - 11:13 AM

I'm with you, simple is better, it's got more uses than people think - you've just mentioned most, one other one that comes to mind - it makes it tough for your friends to jump on and take off for a spin - hehe!
I love mine too, simple, effective and lets me find TDC every time, also makes starting easier that trying to start a bike that's got forced low compression due to the auto decomp.

• Frostbite

Posted May 21, 2008 - 11:30 AM

I prefer the lever.

• GCannon

Posted May 21, 2008 - 02:11 PM

I still have the lever. I switched the lever from the left side to the right side. Because I am too uncoordinated to bump start the bike with both the decomp and the clutch on the same side.
Why kick it when you can roll it?

• MaxPower

Posted May 21, 2008 - 07:38 PM

[COLOR="Green"]Have you owned a Yamaha with the auto decompression cam?
And you like the lever better still? [/COLOR]

• PoorComa

Posted May 21, 2008 - 09:00 PM

I like it. I've got the routine down and am very comfortable with it. It's like second nature to use it to find TDC and get started.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted May 21, 2008 - 09:13 PM

I like mine too! I don't have a problem with it at all. Most people say it's "easier" to start with the auto decomp. cam. How can it be any easier than mine is with the lever???? It's not like I have to sit there and think about what I need to do, like PoorComa said it's second nature

• onsan63

Posted May 21, 2008 - 09:15 PM

Same here, there's a knack to it, but i don't see a need to go to an auto cam. I know i'm quicker getting it started than an electic starter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1991cbr600f2

Posted May 21, 2008 - 09:19 PM

I loved it on my 83 Xr 500r , Boy that really helped alot for starting it. But my 07 wr 450, kicks so easy (when I kick it) its like my old 89 xr 250 was. So I think I have only used it once for gigles. Its unneeded on my bike IMHO even if it didn't have a magic button. But its great for clearing a flooded bike though, so I guess I'll keep it just in case.

• swede426

Posted May 22, 2008 - 12:40 AM

Works good for me too.
I rather spend my money on other goddies than on shifting cam just for autodecomp.

• turbohead

Posted May 22, 2008 - 02:02 AM

There are lots of 2-stroke graduates out there. I am sure they need an auto decomp cam to be able to get going. Or perhaps they should stick to the electric starter bikes instead.

• matt4x4

Posted May 22, 2008 - 03:29 AM

1991cbr600f2 I loved it on my 83 Xr 500r , Boy that really helped alot for starting it. But my 07 wr 450, kicks so easy (when I kick it) its like my old 89 xr 250 was. So I think I have only used it once for gigles. Its unneeded on my bike IMHO even if it didn't have a magic button. But its great for clearing a flooded bike though, so I guess I'll keep it just in case.

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but an 07 WR450 only has a hot start.....:thumbsup: :ride: :bonk: :lol:

• onsan63

Posted May 23, 2008 - 08:13 PM

1991cbr600f2
Was thinking there for a moment you'd have a mean kick on you dude, i can't move my kicker without decomp on a 426, but an auto decomp on the `07 450 would sound right... not much of a mechanic but wouldn't electric start always have an auto decomp? don't shoot me if i'm a dumb ass, i'm no mechanic.

• Thaulass

Posted May 24, 2008 - 04:45 PM

Don't mind my a bit once you know the routine first kick every time... unless I forget to switch the baja designs switch to ON duh

• Frostbite

Posted May 24, 2008 - 07:30 PM

The auto-decomp gets a couple of negative points from me.

#1 - Sometimes the engine gets hung up on a compression stroke and the auto decomp isn't activated. The electric start can't spin the engine and I have to flip out the lever and hammer on it a few times to get it to loosen up. This happens in my Sunday ride video.
With the manual decomp you never get that problem.

#2 - Last weekend I was heading down a steep slope. I got off and was walking the bike over a rocky section. The front brake only wouldn't hold the bike so I shut off the engine and popped the bike in 1st and planned to use the engine/clutch as a rear brake. I was easing tghe bike along, it started to get away, and I let the clutch out for dead engine braking. I got a big surprise when the engine bump started and took off.

It's impossible to bump start my 400 in 1st gear, especially without rider weight. If you do this with your autodecomp, make sure you shut the ignition switch off, don't just kill the engine with the button.

• Solo

Posted May 24, 2008 - 07:44 PM

I didn't mind my lever so much unless I was racing and stalled it on a down hill section. Roll to the bottom, fine TDC, kick, repeat if needed- oh... and you're tired and loosing time. I also had a habbit of locking the rear briefly when going into a corner and stalling it. Now that I have the auto it's so nice to hammer into a corner, jab the brake, and rail the corner- all without worrying about clutch timing.

I thought about leaving the lever on but decided not to and I don't miss it. If I hadn't started the racing thing I would probably still have the lever.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.