XR650R...Helpful Hints

1 reply to this topic
  • thor62

Posted November 25, 2002 - 12:05 PM

Hey, I'm always looking for easier and better ways to do things...and I've come across a few. I thought this might be a neat way to exchange those "little things" amongst ourselves. Please throw some of your ideas on here. Here's a few from me:

1. Zip-tie your throttle cables to the frame (under the seat area) so you don't accidently re-route them when you put your tank back on. If you've ever got them below the tank mounts, they will pull too tight (yep, I've done that!).

2. "Choked Up". I have, in the past, forgotten which way the choke goes when I use the middle position! This is my stupid mental note to remember it correctly. (I know...you guys probably don't have that problem...but, wait a few more years!).

3. Replace that stupid hose clamp! The stock clamp holding the hose to the petcock is a joke (after much cussing and gnashing of teeth, I wised up!). Moose sells a packet of "real" clamps pretty cheap. I'm sure you can get similar ones at Home Depot, or any hardware store...but, OEM has to go!

4. Before you uncork (just in case someone out there hasn't yet!), consider this; if you're going to spend the $130ish to buy the new tip replacement (instead of the inexpensive home modification)...why not just get an after-market exhaust instead? I went with the FMF Q muffler. I paid about $280 for it, and I still have the stock muffler if I need or want to go back (of course, nobody ever would except to sell it or something like that!). The Q looks and sounds great!

I've done so many more things to the bike. Some of them seem so obvious (and, I'm sure the ones above are "old hat" to many of you), others I'll remember during the Monday night game! Looking forward to hearing your ideas. I'll be back!

thor

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • billyj7175

Posted November 25, 2002 - 03:17 PM

Always, always, always remember to take off your rear disc lock....8^)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.