newbie to site

24 replies to this topic
  • broccoli2

Posted May 20, 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hi all, just stumbled across this site and thought I would say hi. I been browsing this site for a few hours, tons of good stuff to learn.

So I bought a new 2008 WR450. :thumbsup:
This is my first dirt bike, I stared many years ago on an ATC250R, I have owned a few different quads a DR650 (10 years ago never off road), and a few crotch rockets.
I have never really ridden a dirt bike before and after a few months of research the WR450 seamed to be the bike for me. Because stock it seamed to be completely corked I could uncork it as my skill level improved.
I took my first step today by getting the "GYTR Muffler Insert". I will let you know next tuesday how it goes if your interested.
I am trying to figure out what to do next, there seams to be a lot of talk about the grey wire, throttle stop, and fuel screw.
Keep in mind I am not a hot roder or speed freak or.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :crazy:
I love this thing I can't believe I've been riding quads for so long :bonk: ...

• redswr

Posted May 20, 2008 - 06:07 PM

welcome to the site! as far as the mods go the only 2 that i saw a vast improvement with are the exhaust and the throttle stop. i deffinatly would do the throttle stop quick cause if you ever need to panic rev the bike... you won't be able to.

• LimyWPom

Posted May 20, 2008 - 07:15 PM

welcome aboard broccoli.
I really would not worry about doing the basic mods especially the throttle screw as you obviously have learnt basic throttle control having ridden crotch rockets, at lower throttle openings these things are very easy to control, yep if
you open her right up she's gonna fly, but as you get used to it the 450 will have you grinning from ear to ear.
Enjoy:thumbsup:

• broccoli2

Posted May 21, 2008 - 05:03 AM

Thats for the welcomes, I am going to try and find more info and pics on the throttle stop. That seams to be what to do next.. Does anybody know if the 07 and 08 is the same for the T stop?
Thanks again
Broccoli

• Pluto67

Posted May 21, 2008 - 06:40 AM

I just picked up an '08 WR450 as well. Took out the throttle stop screw and disconnected the grey wire - Big difference in available Power. My first attempt to remove the screw was not successful. It requires a 4mm allen head (Don't try a standard size - it won't work. I did and thought I stripped it out). This can be done without removing the entire rear subframe. A 3/8 drive ratchet with extensions can reach up there. It's a bit of a trick because you'll be running the extension up along the outside of the spring. I found that I needed a 3" wobble extension hooked to the wrench and then a couple longer extensions to reach up to the back of the carb. You'll need to try different arrangements to sneak it up there. Take off the muffler at the junction with the header - makes it much easier to negotiate the extensions and allen head into the screw. It's much easier with the bit of extra play given by the wobble extension. You'll be running the extensions up all the way from the bottom of the bike. On my first try I thought I stripped the head and would need to take the entire rear subframe off to access the screw. Fortunately another attempt with the correct allen head and the wobble extension freed the screw. The grey wire is located under the left rear plastic cover - its behind the air cleaner. The grey wire is in a 6-wire pack. With a small eyeglass screwdriver you can detach the 2 components and slip out the grey wire. I wouldn't cut it, this way you could hook it back up later. plug the wire hole with a rolled up bit of electrician tape, and wrap the wire up in tape too. This gave me a significant increase in throttle.
I may remove the exhaust baffle next. I'm not totally sure I want to do that because I don't want to end up committed to re-jetting next. There's a lot of good info on this site. Hope the above helps - worked for me.
Erik

• Pluto67

Posted May 21, 2008 - 06:41 AM

Also - search this forum for: '08 throttle stop screw. Another member posted a great pic of the screw. Makes it much easier to find.

• wartsnuff

Posted May 21, 2008 - 08:35 AM

Hey There,

congrats, i have about 800km's on my 08 WR450 and love the bike.

done the YZ throttle stop
Air box snorkel removal only
AIS removal
Grey wire mode.
got a JD jetting kit on the way.

160kph on the gravel :thumbsup: whoo hoo she flies

enjoy
cheers
Warts

• atitagain

Posted May 21, 2008 - 10:31 AM

Welcome!
Make sure you set your sag for you weight...it make a HUGE difference!:thumbsup:
Enjoy

• broccoli2

Posted May 21, 2008 - 11:46 AM

Welcome!
Make sure you set your sag for you weight...it make a HUGE difference!:rolleyes:
Enjoy

Thanks again for all the responces!! Great site :thumbsup:

Can you explain "set your sag for your weight" I am assuming this involves suspension

I am
6"1'
185lbs
Desert rider
small jumps and small hill climbs, until I get better at this hole two wheel thing..

• WR450FGreg

Posted May 21, 2008 - 02:14 PM

I took my first step today by getting the "GYTR Muffler Insert".

I bought a length of 31.8mm OD, thin walled tubing and made my own insert, and one for a mate's WR250F as well.

I borrowed a tube bender from work, made a mounting plate and oxy-welded it all together.
Fits like a glove and definately increased the seat-of-the-pants power across the range.

The whole length of tube cost less a single insert from a supplier!

So..... my reason for posting this info is to suggest that there are things that you can make for your bike with a little (borrowed if necessary) equipment, rather than paying top dollar all the time!

Jetting seems ok at this stage, no hesitation, no red header pipe.
I thought it might run lean now. It was a bit rich from the factory so maybe now the bike breathes to suit that rich jetting.
But mind you I haven't taken it on a long, hard, hot run yet so time will tell.

Greg :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Demo_Slug

Posted May 21, 2008 - 02:47 PM

I recently went through the exact same process as you. I wish I had done the mods sooner.

I did the GYTR tip first( 5 min). Then the throttle stop (30 min), then the grey wire (2min), then the JD jet kit(2 hours), zip-ty fuel screw(20 min), then removed the air box snorkel(2 min). The snorkel removal made the bike sound better.

The JD kit is perfect for someone that is new to tuning, like me. And it is the easiest possible way to jet the 07-08WR. You can do all the mods I’ve listed without removing the carb , dropping the float bowl or removing the sub frame. And your bike will rip.

Get used to taking the seat and the gas tank off. A got a 8 and 10mm T handles just to make the job go faster. I can get my seat and tank off in less then one minute. Another 5 min to get the top motor mount off to get access to the needle.

Hi all, just stumbled across this site and thought I would say hi. I been browsing this site for a few hours, tons of good stuff to learn.

So I bought a new 2008 WR450. :thumbsup:
This is my first dirt bike, I stared many years ago on an ATC250R, I have owned a few different quads a DR650 (10 years ago never off road), and a few crotch rockets.
I have never really ridden a dirt bike before and after a few months of research the WR450 seamed to be the bike for me. Because stock it seamed to be completely corked I could uncork it as my skill level improved.
I took my first step today by getting the "GYTR Muffler Insert". I will let you know next tuesday how it goes if your interested.
I am trying to figure out what to do next, there seams to be a lot of talk about the grey wire, throttle stop, and fuel screw.
Keep in mind I am not a hot roder or speed freak or.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :crazy:
I love this thing I can't believe I've been riding quads for so long :bonk: ...

• broccoli2

Posted May 22, 2008 - 04:52 AM

Greg your insert looks almost identical to the one I bought, great job.

Does anybody have a picture of the Throttle stop screw, or a link to a pic. I have searched and searched but I can't find one.
I ordered one from my local dealer but, the parts guy said " ah ya no problem" then he took about 10 minutes looking at the exploded view of the YZ carb and could not figure out witch screw it was:banghead: I tried to help but had a hard time seeing the screen. He then asked somebody else. I'm not convinced he new either:banghead: :thumbsup: :ride:

• broccoli2

Posted May 22, 2008 - 05:09 AM

OK I think I found it.
is this the same for an 08 450 ??http://www.thumperfaq.com/throttle.htm

• Pluto67

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:40 AM

That's it. From the throttle side of the bike look at where the 2 throttle cables enter the carb. The throttle stop is 180 degrees around on the other side of the cover. It's a round black head sticking out next to the carb intake boot. Can be removed with a 4 mm allen head.
Check out this link, has a pic of a newer carb (with the round cover removed).

www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642010&highlight=%2708+throttle+stop+screw

• broccoli2

Posted May 22, 2008 - 08:48 AM

:thumbsup: Thats a perfect

Thanks so much

• Demo_Slug

Posted May 22, 2008 - 09:29 AM

broccoli2,
also, you don't have to take that cover off to remove the throttle screw. the throttle stop just unscrews. I used a bunch of extentions and a ball end hex socket to get the screw out from the back of the bike.

Posted Image

• wartsnuff

Posted May 22, 2008 - 09:33 AM

yea i was able to use a 3/8" extention and 3/8" drive ratchet from the bottom of the rear shock up till the throttle stop screw. took maybe 10-15minutes to do!

cheers
Warts

• broccoli2

Posted May 22, 2008 - 09:50 AM

I was hoping i could get up there with the correct tools, Thanks I will give it a try tonight.

• Demo_Slug

Posted May 22, 2008 - 01:51 PM

I was hoping i could get up there with the correct tools, Thanks I will give it a try tonight.

Getting the short screw back in is the harder part on the operation. I put a dab of grease in the head of the screw to help it stick to the ball-end. A flash light really helps. 1 of my buddys just couldn’t get his screw back in, I did it for him.. But worst case, if that happens to you, just unbolt the sub frame and fold it up to get better access.

• driftevo361

Posted May 22, 2008 - 07:20 PM

I recently went through the exact same process as you. I wish I had done the mods sooner.

I did the GYTR tip first( 5 min). Then the throttle stop (30 min), then the grey wire (2min), then the JD jet kit(2 hours), zip-ty fuel screw(20 min), then removed the air box snorkel(2 min). The snorkel removal made the bike sound better.

The JD kit is perfect for someone that is new to tuning, like me. And it is the easiest possible way to jet the 07-08WR. You can do all the mods I’ve listed without removing the carb , dropping the float bowl or removing the sub frame. And your bike will rip.

Get used to taking the seat and the gas tank off. A got a 8 and 10mm T handles just to make the job go faster. I can get my seat and tank off in less then one minute. Another 5 min to get the top motor mount off to get access to the needle.

I think your spot on on your bike. You have done every free mod in the book!:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.