Why did this happen?????

17 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted May 20, 2008 - 05:17 PM

Ok brand new rotor 1st ride on it was yesterday blue locktite on bolts. It had a squeak yesterday i took wheel off and re mounted today. Still had a squeal i said screw it rode 15 laps then rested then was half way through 15 more and boommmmmm all hell broke loose locked front wheel up almost killing me in process. I was almost 3rd gear tapped heading towards a 110 foot downhill triple thank god it happen when it dide not on the face. What went wrong? Should I email Yamaha? I have been running a 07 front rotor to practice with on stock wheels this was a brand new factor rotor. Messed up my front hub and fork also

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2008 - 07:45 PM

The first thing that stands out to me is that I see 4 of the 6 mounting bolts missing.

• Nanotech9

Posted May 21, 2008 - 11:33 AM

the anodizing is still nearly intact inside the threads where the rotor mounts (on the ones visible)... this tells me it did NOt rip the bolts out of the threads, but more likely they bolts backed out... all but one? or two? and allowed the caliper to rip the rotor off the hub.

a couple of the bolt holes have a little anodizing worn off right at the surface - probably where the bolts were barely hanging on and started to "jiggle around" right before the rotor ripped completely off.

what was the squeeking? a bolt head rubbing? a bearing? brake pads? warped rotor?

• grayracer513

Posted May 21, 2008 - 12:45 PM

The squeaking would have been the disc center vibrating against the hub as a result of loose/missing bolts.

• Mike Martel

Posted May 21, 2008 - 12:46 PM

sounds like you are a much more ballsee rider than you are a mechanic. If you are hitting jumps that big get someone else to work on your bike. you just ride it like you stole it.

• Wiz636

Posted May 21, 2008 - 12:55 PM

Still had a squeal i said screw it...

Isn't there some kind of award for stuff like this...? Darwin-something, right? :thumbsup: JK, glad you are okay.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 21, 2008 - 12:59 PM

Geez Matt not again...............tell me it was not a 5th gear wide open STOPPY. :thumbsup:

this is very strange....I assume the missing bolts were removed correct? If not they had to back out....but at the exact same time?
I have not seen a yami do this - the yami rotor bolts have a reddish locktite preinstalled - I have used them over and over without any locktite on stock and aftermkt rotors and have never had them backout.....in fact I have several sets of used front rotor bolts...that I use over and over again

questions:

did you check that all bolts were intact after the first ride?
Squeak could be several things, usually pad contact...
What hubs are these Talon? Did the bolts go in tight?
any chance of a defectively made rotor?
How long did you let the locktite set up for?

• varndito

Posted May 21, 2008 - 01:05 PM

Mike Martel's advice is horrible. A front brake system is not rocket science. Most of the stuff on a dirt bike can be fixed with a service manual, a good set of tools, and some mechanical know how. What do your pads look like? Like the other guys said it looks like the bolts worked their way out of the hub and the rotor got caught up on something up front. Maybe the hub was warped before the new rotor went on and had something to do with the foul up. More info would be helpful

• 02YZ426

Posted May 21, 2008 - 02:46 PM

I'm going with the bolts backed out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 21, 2008 - 02:57 PM

I'm jumping on the bolts 'backing out' bandwagon. You should use red loc-tite on rotor bolts. :thumbsup:

• matts06yzf

Posted May 21, 2008 - 08:04 PM

The redish orange factory loctite was on there and I added a little blue for what I thought would be added protection. I removed several bolts before pic but like 2 where missing. The loctite had plenty of time to setup more than a week and they where tourqed with a nice $400.00 wrench to spec. I rode for over 2 hours today with another 08 rotor and stock wheel and all was great. The guy I was riding with had never been to my place before and he thought I was nuts cause every few laps id jump off and give the rotor a wiggle to make sure all was tight. Im lost on this one if the 2 bolts backed out why??? I have never had a issue before and I switch wheels like I do undies. I have lots of fronts mounted up with rotors. Like I said it was brand new. The squeak was there today and I believe is either from some fork oil that leaked from a blown seal that has been repaired or my pads are getting decently worn. I am putting new pads on tomorrow and will probably put another 2 hours or so on the 08. I have over 50 hours on this thing and feel I havent even barely rode it. They are talon hubs also. My buddy and me been having bad bike luck lately he blew his 08 250f practice bike up today at Perris practicing for Glen Helen. Then I broke oil bolt off up in my case changing oil today:bonk: . Thats was my fault but the zip ty magnetic drain bolts are easy to do that with. I got it out no problem though. Ok done with my book.

Dave the bolts went in tight like always also

• matts06yzf

Posted May 21, 2008 - 08:20 PM

sounds like you are a much more ballsee rider than you are a mechanic. If you are hitting jumps that big get someone else to work on your bike. you just ride it like you stole it.

Thats definately not the case I like keeping my bikes up myself so I know its right. Heres a vid of 166ft triple that my best friend hits like a 20 ft double everylap the bikes are fine on big jumps I dont think the hard hits had anything to do with this.

3rd bike in bottom-http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=2111942067

• 1991cbr600f2

Posted May 21, 2008 - 10:29 PM

I was wondering, when you installed the rotor on the hub did it just slip onto the ring or did you have to tap in down a bit to sit flat on that lip?? maybe it was cocked and not fully seated? Also does the taper of the flat head rotor bolts fit well with the recess in the aftermarket rotor? Maybee they use different type/style bolts?
Just glad your allright, that could have been really bad for you and and inocent rider.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 22, 2008 - 05:25 AM

The redish orange factory loctite was on there and I added a little blue for what I thought would be added protection. I removed several bolts before pic but like 2 where missing. The loctite had plenty of time to setup more than a week and they where tourqed with a nice $400.00 wrench to spec. I rode for over 2 hours today with another 08 rotor and stock wheel and all was great. The guy I was riding with had never been to my place before and he thought I was nuts cause every few laps id jump off and give the rotor a wiggle to make sure all was tight. Im lost on this one if the 2 bolts backed out why??? I have never had a issue before and I switch wheels like I do undies. I have lots of fronts mounted up with rotors. Like I said it was brand new. The squeak was there today and I believe is either from some fork oil that leaked from a blown seal that has been repaired or my pads are getting decently worn. I am putting new pads on tomorrow and will probably put another 2 hours or so on the 08. I have over 50 hours on this thing and feel I havent even barely rode it. They are talon hubs also. My buddy and me been having bad bike luck lately he blew his 08 250f practice bike up today at Perris practicing for Glen Helen. Then I broke oil bolt off up in my case changing oil today:bonk: . Thats was my fault but the zip ty magnetic drain bolts are easy to do that with. I got it out no problem though. Ok done with my book.

Dave the bolts went in tight like always also

oddly the only thing I can come up with is the bolts backed out....but the real question is why. I do not think that blue loctite is the issue but I have never added it to the already red covered rotor bolts. I assume the front brake worked before the destruction...this would be a issue if the rotor was not seated on the hub correctly. Again this rotor may have been defective, but this still does not explain the missing bolts.
At least you were not injured again Matt.:thumbsup:

• Nanotech9

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:01 AM

I have a set of RAD hubs... for the last two years i've run them no problem... then i run 250 miles on a roadtrip in a day and come back to change tires, and i notice half of my front rotor carrier bolts are loose and one is backed out half way. I check and sure enough they all have white dust on them from old locktite... i throw some blue on them all and button it back up. do the same with all the other carrier bolts.

It happens. Not usually with locktite, but it happens.

I also warped a rotor really badly at Hallett (roadcourse) and didnt realize it till weeks later - it wasnt warped back and forth, but the entire rotor dished in towards the wheel - looked like a ceramic plate. The brakes still worked OK, but the bike was hard to push and i couldn't figure out why for a long time. Then i noticed the caliper looked like it was "bent in" or tilted in, and that after setting 30min, the brakes had to be pumped up to start working right.

The caliper was flexing with the rotor, some. when at rest, the rotor would push the pads in a little. Still though, as warped as it was, it rode fine.

Reson for this story is to say that sometimes something can be wrong, but not wrong enough for you to notice exactly what it is, and it'll still function for some time....

I know, that doesnt help much. lol.

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:05 AM

oddly the only thing I can come up with is the bolts backed out....but the real question is why.

The only thing that makes sense, if we are to allow Matt his claim that he torqued them, is what 1991cbr600f2 alluded to; the rotor didn't sit square against the mounting surface because of a poor fit over the centering step.

• Mike Martel

Posted May 22, 2008 - 11:09 AM

didn't mean you can't fix it or something didn't go wrong with the part. If you got balls that big you shouldn't have to work on your own bike. 166 foot triple, that is awsome. I think i will stick to hitting trees.
I bent my front and back rotors and replaced them on my 06 yz450 without an issue. I checked the bolts last night they are all there.

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2008 - 11:14 AM

... 166 foot triple, ... I think i will stick to hitting trees.

I tend to think that motorcycles lack the proper control surfaces for flights of that length :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

• Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.