Radiator Cages & Powdercoating

10 replies to this topic
  • kerry400f

Posted May 20, 2008 - 07:10 AM

I have a 06 yz450f and I ride and race woods mostly. I was wondering if the radiator cages would be a wise investment.

Also, I am thinking of getting my clutch, stator, and valve cover powdercoated for $50+S&H. Is it worth it. And how long will the side cases last until the coating starts coming off? Here is the site where im thinking about getting it done http://moto-x-coatings.page.tl/ any input would be appreciated.

Kerry

• markvan

Posted May 21, 2008 - 06:01 PM

50$ sounds pretty decent. Don't see any reason to do it, other than cosmetics...(which is always nice). I don't think you will ever have to worry about it wearing off, I don't see you ever wearing through a powder coat, unless you have sandpaper on your boots....

• YamaLink

Posted May 21, 2008 - 07:12 PM

Kerry,
Is there a powder coater near you who can do it? $50 for the clutch, stator and valve cover seems high. Then add shipping.

Radiator braces are a wise investment.

Powder coating is basically a paint, and it comes in different thicknesses and therefore durability. And like most things, the way it's applied dictates how long it lasts. It should be durable to a boot rubbing a cover, for example, but it will crack and basically shatter if a rock or tree hits it just right. But that's the price you pay for cosmetic appearances on bike parts.

I have a 06 yz450f and I ride and race woods mostly. I was wondering if the radiator cages would be a wise investment.

Also, I am thinking of getting my clutch, stator, and valve cover powdercoated for $50+S&H. Is it worth it. And how long will the side cases last until the coating starts coming off? Here is the site where im thinking about getting it done http://moto-x-coatings.page.tl/ any input would be appreciated.

Kerry

• kerry400f

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:52 AM

thanks guys now i have to go and get a radiator cage and the powder coating done.

• cdyer77

Posted May 22, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Kerry,
Is there a powder coater near you who can do it? $50 for the clutch, stator and valve cover seems high. Then add shipping.

Radiator braces are a wise investment.

Powder coating is basically a paint, and it comes in different thicknesses and therefore durability. And like most things, the way it's applied dictates how long it lasts. It should be durable to a boot rubbing a cover, for example, but it will crack and basically shatter if a rock or tree hits it just right. But that's the price you pay for cosmetic appearances on bike parts.

Actually powder coating bonds to the metal and is alot more that a "coat of paint". I've gotten lots of street bike parts powdercoated & even when the bike get crashed, dented, banged up, I've never seen powder coat "crack & basically shatter". If you dent a metal frame that has been powdercoated, the coating will dent and conform to the metal being dented. Is simply doesnt "chip off". That has been my experience with 15 yrs of street bike parts

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kerry400f

Posted May 22, 2008 - 08:14 AM

Actually powder coating bonds to the metal and is alot more that a "coat of paint". I've gotten lots of street bike parts powdercoated & even when the bike get crashed, dented, banged up, I've never seen powder coat "crack & basically shatter". If you dent a metal frame that has been powdercoated, the coating will dent and conform to the metal being dented. Is simply doesnt "chip off". That has been my experience with 15 yrs of street bike parts

Thanks for the info:thumbsup: is $50 for for the engine side cases and valve over plus shipping a good deal?

• cdyer77

Posted May 22, 2008 - 08:45 AM

Yes, thats seems like a good deal to me. Remember when you powder coat something they have to first bead blast it clean then apply the powdercoat. So you have to take that labor & equipment into account when you get a price for powdercoating.

• kerry400f

Posted May 22, 2008 - 08:55 AM

Yes, thats seems like a good deal to me. Remember when you powder coat something they have to first bead blast it clean then apply the powdercoat. So you have to take that labor & equipment into account when you get a price for powdercoating.

yea he said he strips the finish, cleans, and preps it for powdercoating for that price. do you think it would be fine if i get my factory exhuast(the canister) powdercoated?

where in PA are you located?

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 22, 2008 - 09:26 AM

When you get your radiator cages, check out unabiker. I bought the devol ones and I wish that I had looked at unabiker first. They are stronger and you can get them in different anodized colors. Actually, in your case, you should order them and send them off with the rest of your powdercoat items so it all matches.

• kerry400f

Posted May 22, 2008 - 09:28 AM

thanks i will look into unabiker

• cdyer77

Posted May 25, 2008 - 03:48 AM

yea he said he strips the finish, cleans, and preps it for powdercoating for that price. do you think it would be fine if i get my factory exhuast(the canister) powdercoated?

where in PA are you located?

I'd do the canister too if it were me.

I'm in SE PA (Near Reading, PA)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.