What the hell is the strap on the number plate for?

20 replies to this topic
  • Aka.Goose

Posted May 19, 2008 - 10:07 AM

The one that goes up over the handlebars on the front number plate...
I want to use an exacto and cut it off!

• yz426em

Posted May 19, 2008 - 10:26 AM

Just cut it off if you dont use it, thats what i did.

• Aka.Goose

Posted May 19, 2008 - 10:30 AM

I realize it's to keep the brake line from getting behind the number plate...But problem solved, right?
Posted Image

• huffster

Posted May 19, 2008 - 10:32 AM

If you ever snag your brake line after a big G-Out, you will know what's it's for....

• TimFurryBalls

Posted May 19, 2008 - 10:40 AM

I'd like to know of at least one account in history that the front brake line actually snagged the front number plate. Look at KTM's. They never had a strap and the front plate is angled to make it easier to hook it on!

• MXKyle

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:07 PM

A friend of mine had plastic numbers riveted to his front number plate. While landing off a big jump the brake line got high enough to get on top of the trick looking numbers and snagged between the number and the plate. He broke his back in that unexpected fall.

I know it's not the same thing but I still wouldn't risk it.

--KT--

• huffster

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:44 PM

I'd like to know of at least one account in history that the front brake line actually snagged the front number plate. Look at KTM's. They never had a strap and the front plate is angled to make it easier to hook it on!

Where do you think the tab came from ? It was when bikes had front brake cables and it could/would snag if the cable was too long or routed incorrectly.....and same holds true for front brake line. PS What is a KTM ? :thumbsup:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:52 PM

KTM? Never heard of it. . .

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 20, 2008 - 05:55 AM

some german company I think. They made some kind of concept car er sumthin

• motoclay

Posted May 22, 2008 - 07:03 PM

that tab is just a safety for the plate. i have cut everyone of them off and have NEVER EVER EVER had a brake line snag, its there so if the bolt comes out, u dont loose yo plate!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted May 23, 2008 - 05:58 AM

Had a SL100 with drum brake in '70, modified for MX, longer travel etc, the cable got behind the # plate landing a jump, when the bike bounced back up the frt brake applied, I realize it was a cable not a line, but maybe its a carry over from that, I've never seen it needed on a modertn bike. Mike

• todds924

Posted May 24, 2008 - 05:22 PM

There is a little notch in the back of that strap where hotstart cable is routed with clutch cable i believe.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted May 24, 2008 - 06:00 PM

that tab is just a safety for the plate. i have cut everyone of them off and have NEVER EVER EVER had a brake line snag, its there so if the bolt comes out, u dont loose yo plate!

It can and does happen on occasion. I always leave mine on.:thumbsup:

• Aka.Goose

Posted May 25, 2008 - 12:45 AM

Screw it, I cut it off...Wish me luck that it doesn't snag...

• mikedabike

Posted May 25, 2008 - 10:00 AM

I had one on a older Yamaha that I cut off. It got caught behind the number plate nad actually broke the line. I discovered this at the end of a 1/4 mile aspalt straight during a grand prix. Fortuneatly there was enough run off and I was able to go straight and slow with the rear. My nephew has a newer Yamaha and I was looking at it the other day and realized he had cut his off. Eventhough it has not gotten caught behind the numberplate it is cutting the line where it snags on the top of the numberplate. So there you have two documented issues of problems this can cause. If you choose to cut it off good luck to you.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 25, 2008 - 11:34 AM

If you cut it off, dont' ride near me! I don't want to land on you when you crash in front of me, or be landed on by you when you can't control your bike. It keeps the brake line out from behind the number plate. If the line gets back there it can interfere with how the fork works (might not extend all the way) or break the brake line.

• Aka.Goose

Posted May 25, 2008 - 04:14 PM

If you cut it off, dont' ride near me!

No worries guys...I'm going to rig a little something to prevent it from getting caught behind...Once I figure out what that is, I'll post it, hehe...
Looks like it would be pretty freak if it did go behind as there are other cables and a little tab behind the plate that I believe would deflect it, but I'll rig something for safety sake anyway...

• adamdf

Posted May 25, 2008 - 04:36 PM

I can't help but ask, why is it bothering you so much? I say just leave it alone and forget about it.

• Aka.Goose

Posted May 25, 2008 - 10:29 PM

I can't help but ask, why is it bothering you so much? I say just leave it alone and forget about it.

Honestly, it didn't bother me all that much, and I was just being a bit irrational and compulsive when I cut it off...I do like the way it looks now much better, and I think I can rig something close to unnoticable to prevent the cable from snagging...Actually really suprised so many people would respond to this post, especially with such different viewpoints about it...

:thumbsup:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted May 26, 2008 - 02:26 PM

Cut it off before the last cutout notch and zip tie the cable to the plate. Factory prep.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.