boiling sound coming from reservoir

10 replies to this topic
  • rozero1234

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:08 AM

just got back from a ride on some terrain that was definately over my head skill wise. anyway, my bike spent a lot of time on its side and TONS of slippery uphill. every now and then when i was picking my bike up, i heard a noise that sounded like water boiling in the reservoir.
normal? bad? am i toast?

• doctorchopper

Posted May 19, 2008 - 02:03 AM

this is normal with the wr, i've heard of people rigging up computer fans to their radiators to solve this problem, i'd say try water wetter or engine ice before going the fan route if anything.

• GCannon

Posted May 19, 2008 - 08:11 AM

this is normal with the wr, i've heard of people rigging up computer fans to their radiators to solve this problem, i'd say try water wetter or engine ice before going the fan route if anything.

And a new radiator cap!:thumbsup:

• MountainMax

Posted May 19, 2008 - 08:52 AM

a higher pressure cap ?

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 19, 2008 - 09:00 AM

Yeah, not uncommon. I've done that a few times. You just overheated. Stop the bike and wait for it to settle down. You need to get into some open stuff pretty quickly after this happens to get some air moving through those radiators. If you can't do that because you are still in the middle of a bunch of hellish stuff, just do your best to listen to your bike. Turn it off when necessary, or coast it dead when you can. This sort of stuff has only happened to me on really hot days, in really nasty spots where I've gotten stuck. If this becomes a common thing for you, check out a set of fluidyne oversized radiators, and possibly the boyeson water pump that flows more. I just run engine ice coolant and it works pretty good for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted May 19, 2008 - 09:48 AM

a higher pressure cap ?

Not necessarilly just one that is truly holding 16psi or 1.1 bar for you. rather than an old cap that may be only holding 10 or 12 psi.

I worry that the 20 psi caps will just put more stress on seals, hoses and gaskets.

also the increase in pressure will increase the boiling temp so the motor will be hotter before it boils. I think IMHO that you would like to know that you are overheating before it is too late.

• jandmsuburban7

Posted May 20, 2008 - 11:19 AM

engine ice and a little richer mixture to the carb. Jason

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted May 20, 2008 - 11:42 AM

just got back from a ride on some terrain that was definately over my head skill wise. anyway, my bike spent a lot of time on its side and TONS of slippery uphill. every now and then when i was picking my bike up, i heard a noise that sounded like water boiling in the reservoir.
normal? bad? am i toast?

Your catch tank is doing it's job. This is the time to be thankful that your bike came with one instead of spewing coolant on the ground. Can't imagine why some of the euro bikes do not have catch tanks. It's really not worth the weight savings to leave it off (like hand guards and skid plates).

• Eddie5150

Posted May 21, 2008 - 07:59 AM

So what temperature is "the temperature" that you need to look for? I just did 5MOH and with my vapor, it was saying the my engine temp was hitting 260ºF. I looked at my fluid and it says that the boiling point is 265°F.

So the million dollar question is at what temperature do you turn you bike off and take a rest? I didn't notice anything unusual about my bike other than the fact that it was hot. The Vapor has some settings that give you temperature marks that are for warning and danger. Any thoughts?

eddie

• rozero1234

Posted May 21, 2008 - 11:47 PM

good deal, thanks for the info. i'll keep an ear to it.

• chrispy1202

Posted May 22, 2008 - 07:15 AM

It sounds like your bike is doing what it is supposed to do when it overheats. The cap is designed to hold a specified amount of pressure in the system and then relieve the excess into your overflow tank. When it cools down, it will draw the coolant back into your rad. I wouldn't change too much unless this is your typical riding conditions, then maybe the different coolant sounds like your best bet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.