Heat wrap protection for fuel line?????

5 replies to this topic
  • Jason21

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:19 PM

I have an "Acerbis" desert tank on my bike (YZ426). The fuel line coming off of the petcock (kick start side) looks like it's swelling/bubbling up from the heat of the engine/header (the desert tank hangs down a lot further than stock of course). Anyone know of any kind of heat resistant tape or product to wrap around the fuel line to protect it from the heat?

• 426 NOOB

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:23 PM

I have an "Acerbis" desert tank on my bike (YZ426). The fuel line coming off of the petcock (kick start side) looks like it's swelling/bubbling up from the heat of the engine/header (the desert tank hangs down a lot further than stock of course). Anyone know of any kind of heat resistant tape or product to wrap around the fuel line to protect it from the heat?

I would use either fiberglass header wrap, or aluminum tape. Both found at your nearest auto parts store.

• DeeCee

Posted May 19, 2008 - 01:14 AM

I am about to fit a Clarke Desert Tank to my YZ400F. I considered the problem you mention at length and have decided not to fit the petcock (even bought one for the job) on the kick start side to avoid the heat issue. I have noticed in various threads on this issue that leaving this petcock off has the advantage of providing a small reserve of fuel and the disadvantage of having to stop and lean the bike over to get the fuel over to the other side. I concluded this was no great hassle

I also have put heat reflecting tape to the inside faces of the tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bajamoto

Posted May 19, 2008 - 08:09 AM

head down to any performance race shop.

they sell .5", 1", 1.5" and 2" heat resistant fuel line sleeves.

this company also sells them.

http://www.motoinnov...linesleeve.html

i would recomend getting heat shield tape and glueing it to the bottom of your tank as well to keep the gas from boiling.

you need to buy 3M adhesive spray to make sure it sticks to the tank. the adhesive material on the tape isn't strong enough on its own.

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2008 - 09:12 AM

There are several sources for such products as that, as you pointed out. For instance:

http://www.heatshiel...ield_sleeve.php

You can also take common kitchen aluminum foil and fold it over so that it is 3-4 layers thick (each layer is a thermal boundary) and roll that around the fuel line, anchoring it with wire.

Reflective tape on the bottom of the tank isn't as big a deal as it's made up to be, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything, either. I used a tape made for heater ducting that I found at Home Depot. It's a foil tape with a peel off backing and needs absolutely no help to stick to the bottom of the tank. I doubt it insulates as well as Meirs heat tiling, but it helps, and costs way less. Adding layers multiplies its effectiveness.

• Jason21

Posted May 19, 2008 - 09:22 PM

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the info.....Jason

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.