2003 wr 450 blew out cam half moon plug from valve cover?

5 replies to this topic
  • fordtech4576

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:16 PM

I was riding my 2003 wr 450 putting down a hill behind my 7 year old and what sounded like a back fire from the exhaust turned out to be the half moon shaped rubber piece of my valve cover blew out. and all the blow bye (smoke) cam out, lucky it was are last ride and i was able to find the rubber piece and stuff it back in so no dust would get in and mininmal oil leak. I am going to order a new valve cover gasket and install it but i am concerned that this might be a sign of a bigger problem? i saw both breather hoses and they look fine(not kinked, or damaged) is there a pcv valve in the valve cover that could be the problem? Any help would be great as i am planning on ridding for labor day next weekend and need to know if i need to get anyother parts? thanks

• swede426

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:23 PM

Happened to me too on my 426, I discovered the breathing hose had popped off the valvecover so I just putted it back on without checking if it was open.
It turned out it was'nt so when I started it up and reved a bit, the half moon rubber popped of.
The hose was filled with some really sticky stuff that completely blocked the airway from valvecover
EDIT: And hey, dont forget to add some drops of glue on the halfmoon when putting new one in.

• fordtech4576

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:30 PM

thanks alot, thats what i was kinda thinking. is there a valve in the cover or is it just baffled?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted May 19, 2008 - 02:47 AM

thanks alot, thats what i was kinda thinking. is there a valve in the cover or is it just baffled?

There's no valve in the cover, it's a straight shot in through the pipe.
I've blown mine out twice. Both times it was caused by the line icing up where it enters the airbox.

The vent on your bike must be plugged. It's internal pressure buildup that pops out the 1/2 moon.

• fordtech4576

Posted May 20, 2008 - 08:18 PM

well i tore it down and found no restriction in the tube or the pipe. Is there anything else i should look for? It did make a loud sound like a firecracker when it happened, I thought it was like a backfire or something. I checked the valve clearance while i was there and i am changing the oil, and replaceing the valve cover gasket but just feel like i might be missing something?

• swede426

Posted May 21, 2008 - 12:09 AM

well i tore it down and found no restriction in the tube or the pipe. Is there anything else i should look for? It did make a loud sound like a firecracker when it happened, I thought it was like a backfire or something. I checked the valve clearance while i was there and i am changing the oil, and replaceing the valve cover gasket but just feel like i might be missing something?

Mine did make a very loud pop when it happened to me.
It could happen that the halfmoon pops out if they are'nt correctly assembled and also if you have'nt glued it and it have been stored for a while, then the rubber dries out and shrink a bit.
As said earlier, if the hose is free, the overpressure would get out that way instead.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.