opinions from actual riders

11 replies to this topic
  • metalm0

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:16 PM

I was curious upon what you all thought about your yz400f and yz426fs? Been riding several years now on cr500s and will be heading off to Cal Poly so that means lots of time at Oceano Dunes (Pismo). I love my cr500s, but been having a ton of trouble with them lately and it always seems like once one thing is fixed you got another such as overheating issue with them in the dunes.

Anyways, I was wanting to get some opinions on buying my first 4 stroke. Looking at yz 400/426 due to price reasons and wanted to see if I can get some input from the actual riders of these bikes. Preferably how well they work on the dunes. Not looking for a drag bike nor anything special. I am looking for a bike that I can have fun with at the dunes, hills, and track. Thanks a lot.

Josh

• Slowmotion426

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:30 PM

I owned an '01 YZ426F for 5 years. I had zero breakdowns. Zero issues. Well I take that back, I did get a flat tire once when I came up short on a triple. Bulletproof reliability, great power, excellent suspension. The only thing I can think of to complain about it was that it didn't corner as sharp as my '06 YZ450F does. :thumbsup:

• metalm0

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:45 PM

Well that makes it a lot better. haha so what was your maintenance schedule like with that bike?

• DeeCee

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:49 AM

I have a YZ400F and ride desert all the time, presently in 100+ temperatures.

It is a great bike, I have no complaints about it at all, for the desert enviroment it is ideal.

I had to learn how to start it but once I had the jetting right and followed the right procedure (see the sticky's), it starts first or second kick every time.

For routine maintenance I clean the filter and chain after every ride and change the oil after every 2nd ride. Coolant rarely needs a top up. Valves etc much greater intervals (just done my first check after 6 months and no adjustment required).

When riding make sure you keep your tyre pressures low (10 or less in the rear) to gain good traction.

• Wiz636

Posted May 19, 2008 - 08:58 AM

I rode the :thumbsup: out of my '02 426, then handed it over to my son who beat the :rolleyes: out of it. Never had a single breakdown.

My maintenance schedule was pretty much a clean airfilter every ride, new oil every six hours, regrease all bearings twice a year.

• Emiliano

Posted May 19, 2008 - 02:22 PM

I had a 99 400 for 3 years, all I did was change oil, and clean filters. Awsome!!!! I hope my new 08 to be the same, so far 7 months on my 08 and not a single problem

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • metalm0

Posted May 19, 2008 - 04:22 PM

O ok well I am still not sure on a YZ or WR setup yet, but what should I be looking for when I go look at a few bikes such as noticeable problems on them besides the basics. Thanks.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted May 19, 2008 - 04:50 PM

I owned an '02 426. What a pig compared to the newer four strokes. It was heavy, the engine was chuggy and slow revving. Some people prefer that. I'd get a higher revving bike or even stick with a 500 for the dunes.

• BRYANS01

Posted May 19, 2008 - 07:00 PM

wow never really heard of a slow reving 426 unless jetting was crap if mine reved any faster i would be running after it after i got off the ground, ive ridden newer 450s and if anything the 426 hits way harder. the weight is somthing to get used to but if your throwing around a 500 it wont be any problem for you if anything it will be a little easier.

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted May 20, 2008 - 05:51 AM

I ride a 98 YZ400 converted to Sumo Daily. LOVE IT.

• SpED66

Posted May 20, 2008 - 04:33 PM

I have a '01 YZ426F. Very tough bike & reliable. But I'm getting too old for such a powerhouse. A young guy like you would probably love something like this for desert riding. Check the link if you want to hear it rev. (The engine was warm... just so nobody flames me.)

Short video of my '01 YZ426F

• jmckinney

Posted May 21, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Josh,

I was antually in your shoes about four years ago... At the time I owned a KX 500 and mostly rode at Sand Mountain in Nevada and it always seemed to have little issues go wrong with it each trip but I loved the power for ripping up sand dunes. Now I rode a 2000 YZ426 and I love the power, durabilty and the egronmoic of a new bike. I'm sure you will miss the power of a 500 but if your riding at Pismo Beach or the desert a 400 or 426 will have plenty of power. Just rememeber if you blow up a two stoke it's alot cheaper to fix then a 4-Stroke...Good Luck

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.