just bought a 2002 yz426

6 replies to this topic
  • bryans 86

Posted May 18, 2008 - 05:28 PM

just picked up a 2002 yzf426 for 1700 bucks. had a fmf pipe and is fairly clean. been riding it a few times over the weekend and need to go get it registered monday. Any tips or pointers. ive been riding street bikes for 3 years and got sick of always getting pulled over for dumb stuff so i sold my 05 gsxr and paid it off and bought this. im happy just wish there was a way i could get it registered for on road and buy some motard tires ..

• jnl81

Posted May 18, 2008 - 06:17 PM

The 426 was my last bike, it is a good torqy bike. If it does't have it already put an exahust cam in it. It makes it much easier to start.

• bryans 86

Posted May 18, 2008 - 09:23 PM

humm i dont know if it does but my buddie has a 2001 426 and i always had a hard time getting his to start this bike i had no problem usually dont even need the hot start. the guy i bought it off of didnt know anything about it but there are two new side cases on it ( kinda makes me nervous ) and the bolts for the oil filter have small holes drilled through them and wire going threw them so they cant come loose ....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jason21

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:11 PM

It's an awsome desert bike. Advice worth it's weight in gold?.....Spend another $200 and get yourself an auto decompression cam installed. Trust me...Especially if your new to the dirtbike scene.

• YELL-OSNAKE

Posted May 18, 2008 - 10:14 PM

You would know if you have the cam mod.....do you have a decompression lever on the handlebar that you MUST pull in, when trying to start the bike? If not either you have the cam mod ( which has the auto decompression built in), or you are a gorilla with mega torque. I just did the cam mod on mine...kinda tames the bike down a bit. Before the mod it would pull a hard wheelie in any gear, with just a 1/2 throttle blip, now it's more linear.

• bryans 86

Posted May 19, 2008 - 05:10 AM

yeah i have the decompression lever and i need to use it but i dont mind i like having a " special way " to start my bike that way my moron friends cant just hop on it and take it for a ride. its damn funny watching them trying to start it ...

• vtwinjunkie

Posted November 13, 2008 - 08:47 AM

yeah i have the decompression lever and i need to use it but i dont mind i like having a " special way " to start my bike that way my moron friends cant just hop on it and take it for a ride. its damn funny watching them trying to start it ...

HAHA!! I agree, once i learned how to do it I can get it started on one kick everytime...but my friends always hurt themselves when they try!!!:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.