2002 wr426 stalling, bogging, generally unhappy

10 replies to this topic
  • arringto206

Posted May 18, 2008 - 09:29 AM

I ran into an issue with my wr426 over the weekend where it began stalling and bogging down frequently.
The stall was generally happening at idle; as I would put it in gear and give the throttle a twist the bike would bog down and stall. It also happened while heading up steep hills. I would make a corner then give it some throttle and bog..stall.

Any ideas what this could be? I bumped the idle speed up which seemed to help a little but it didn't take care of the problem. It was also a real PIA to start when this was happening..heck of a time finding tdc and required constant use of the hot start valve.

It's worth mentioning that the temp was in the mid to upper 80's here in the Northwest. I rode two weeks ago (same place) with the temps in the high 50's low 60's and the bike ran flawless.http://www.thumperta...es/excuseme.gif

Could this be something in the idle circuit on the carb? Bad accelerator pump? Poor jetting? Did I drown my air cleaner in oil with recent maintenance? Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

• arringto206

Posted May 20, 2008 - 10:31 AM

Any ideas out there? I am wondering if it could be the jetting (stock 2002 wr 426)

• byggd

Posted May 20, 2008 - 10:39 AM

I would pull the carb, give it a good cleaning, check the accelerator pump etc and take note of what jets you are currently running. Strange that it happen so suddenly so look for a air leak between the carb and head as well. My 02 has a JD jetting kit and runs well from 800-6000'.

• swede426

Posted May 20, 2008 - 06:17 PM

Changed your spark plug??

• matt4x4

Posted May 21, 2008 - 05:11 AM

start with the spark plug, and clean the carb as stated, usually the bog on acceleration is caused by a plugged AP since you didn't mess with the AP timing. Recently had that happen on a brand new 06 CRF250R that just wasn't run since day 1, just stored with the carb drained - however, draining the carb still leaves all the fuel in the AP allowing it to gum up - maybe you got a piece of dirt in the AP, but tyour issue sounds identical to the gummed up AP on the honda.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wartsnuff

Posted May 21, 2008 - 08:37 AM

I over oiled my air filter, had all sorts of idle issue's and off idle bog.

recleaned it and re-oiled and after a couple of minutes my bike was back to normal and running strong again

hope this helps

• matt4x4

Posted May 21, 2008 - 11:20 AM

Wow, that must have been a LOT of oil!!!!

• arringto206

Posted May 28, 2008 - 07:37 PM

Thanks guys. I plan on cleaning the carb (AP), pulling the plug and installing a JD jet kit since it's stock anyway. I wish I was patient enough to do them one at a time to see which one was the culprit :thumbsup:

I checked the air filter.. Over oiling was a bit of wishful thinking.

Thanks again guys..

• wartsnuff

Posted May 29, 2008 - 09:26 AM

Wow, that must have been a LOT of oil!!!!

hate to say this, but i over oiled it to the point there was oil in the bottom of the air box :thumbsup:

felt like a jackass, when i realized i betcha i didn't sqeeze the excess off..

• arringto206

Posted May 29, 2008 - 10:42 PM

I'll be happy if it just turns out to be a bone headed move on my part by over oiling a filter..that I now know was pre-oiled to start with!

I squeezed off the excess in the parking lot the day it happened. And there was a little puddle in the airbox... Usually the most obvious reason is the culprit, so maybe I'll get lucky :thumbsup: But then again, I was due for a re-jet from stock and carb cleaning anyway..

• Pooley

Posted June 01, 2008 - 02:11 PM

If you still have jetting/bogging/stalling issues I've had really good luck with the O-ring mod on my 01 426. Did the mod last year and been happy ever since. Bike will normally start cold in 1-2 kicks, and pulls like a mule off idle. Ride in Michigan around 700ft elevation.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.