what is wrong

8 replies to this topic
  • jfreadman

Posted May 17, 2008 - 07:41 PM

Freshly assembled motor. Running the hot cam with auto decompresion.
Posted Image
100% SURE THE TIMING IS CORRECT
100% SURE THE VALVES ARE IN SPEC
EMP 3 CLIP
165 main
200 main air
40 pilot
75 pilot air
zip ty fuel screw
damn thing is very hard to start. I had this dream that once I rebuilt the motor all would be great. Pulled the pilot and fuel screw out, and shot brake cleaner through the pilot hole. Brake cleaner came out of the fuel screw hole and inside the carb throat. So the pilot ciruit is clear. What do I look at next? I humble enough to admit I could have done something wrong.

• maxtherat

Posted May 17, 2008 - 08:24 PM

What elevation are you at? A 40 PJ seems pretty small. Try a 42-45 and it may help. Since doing the cam swap my bike is a bit harder to start and it seems that when I give it some gas it starts up no problem.
kind of like starting a 2 stroke. I am running a 42 but, I may need to go to a 45.

• jfreadman

Posted May 18, 2008 - 07:47 AM

I sit between 0 to 1000 ' in elevation. I'll try a bigger pilot and let you know.

• jfreadman

Posted May 18, 2008 - 06:09 PM

42 pilot seems to help. I will go to the bike shop Monday and get a 45. Hopefully I can get the bike to idle so I can run the fuel screw in, and out and prove the pilort circuit is in the ball park.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted May 18, 2008 - 09:42 PM

The starting drill for both my son's two-fiddy and my 444 with hot cams is: blip the throttle twice, kick the kicker thru slowly twice, one swift kick (with no throttle) and BBBRRRAAAAAAPPPPP.

• camman

Posted May 20, 2008 - 03:28 PM

Did you set the lash?

• maxtherat

Posted May 20, 2008 - 06:41 PM

The starting drill for both my son's two-fiddy and my 444 with hot cams is: blip the throttle twice, kick the kicker thru slowly twice, one swift kick (with no throttle) and BBBRRRAAAAAAPPPPP.

What size PJ are you running Birdy? How many turns out on the fuel screw?

• jfreadman

Posted May 22, 2008 - 12:00 PM

Man what a difference having the pilot circuit adjusted correctly makes. I'm running a 45 pilot and the bike starts easy, runs strong. Now if I could just feel good about the loud clatter in the head, when the bike is running. I read in the newbie threads that the bike will make uneasy sounds, but this seams out of character. Long story short, three years ago the bike was parked because I let the chain stretch and grenaded the motor. I have it all back together now and I don't remember it being this clattery.

• Birdy426

Posted May 22, 2008 - 04:55 PM

What size PJ are you running Birdy? How many turns out on the fuel screw?

Max- As near as I can remember, I'm running a 42 pilot (it's been a long time since I diddled with the carb..but it's whatever JD recommends with his kit) and the fuel screw varies between 1-1/4 and 2 turns out depending on temperature.

Man what a difference having the pilot circuit adjusted correctly makes. I'm running a 45 pilot and the bike starts easy, runs strong. Now if I could just feel good about the loud clatter in the head, when the bike is running. I read in the newbie threads that the bike will make uneasy sounds, but this seams out of character. Long story short, three years ago the bike was parked because I let the chain stretch and grenaded the motor. I have it all back together now and I don't remember it being this clattery.

Are you sure the clatter is coming from the head? My 426 is pretty "clattery" too, but the noise is coming from the primary drive grears. Use a mechanic's stethescope or listen thru a long screwdriver...with a skid plate on, the noise sounds like it's coming from the head, but in reality it's bouncing off the skid plate.

If the noise is coming from the head, recheck your valve clearances, as they are probably too loose.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.