Xt250 Vs Klx250

17 replies to this topic
  • Spicler

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

My Buddy just bought a XT250 today, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but I am thinking that I would rather have something with a little more pep. I will be a beginner when it comes to DS but do have some experience with dirtbikes as a kid. In the past couple years I have just been riding quads but with the gas prices I need something to commute to school then to work with a daily round trip of 76 miles, no highway, top speed limit is 60mph. I have really been eyeing the WR250R but after reading mxracernumber1's diary on the WR250R it seems that the KLX is a viable option as well and much cheaper, that freakin WR is expensive. Also, I am 5'9'' and weigh 150lbs. So what do you guys think? Price is a big thing for me, the WR is do able, the XT is really cheap but maybe a bit under powered for my likeing. How about the KLX? I already posted this in the Yamaha DS section so I wanted post in this section as well. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GlennF

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

If seat height is your first issue, the KLX250 and the WR250R are about the same. The XT250 is quite a bit lower. The KLX is more choked down stock than the WR but both bikes have better off road suspension than the XT. The XT can be modified the same way as the prior model XT225 for more power. Try your friend's bike.

• Spicler

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

I figured I would have a little more feed back than this... anyway I rode the XT today, nice bike but yes I will definatley want something bigger and faster than that. Seat height is not a huge deal for me I just need to be able to touch on both sides. I am capable of this on the WR250R so I don't think that will be an issue on any bike. Does the KLX250 seem like a better fit than the XT250? Help:crazy:

• Kommando

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

The XT is a bit of a mini-adventure packmule D/S. The KLX is more of a zipping-down-trails D/S. It may not have much power stock, but a KLX can be uncorked for considerably more power, and the suspension is more advanced than the XT's.

• VT Green

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

KLX all the way, you won't regret it! I looked at all 3 last summer: the (then) XT225, the DR200SE, and the KLX250S. I ended up with the KLX because it was easily the best equipped and most versatile of the three (and it didn't hurt that my Kawasaki dealer had a low-mileage 06 KLX for less than the 07 XT).

I know Yamaha made some changes to the XT for this year, but IMO, you can still make the KLX an as good or better street bike than the XT or the DR, but you'll never make an XT or a DR a better dirt bike than the KLX (does that make sense?)

Good luck and happy trails!

BTW... does anyone know who broke kawasakiforums.com?? It's been down for me for days now...

Brian

• Trail_Ryder

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:19 AM

Suzuki DR650ES, low seat height, and a MSRP of $5,099

• Highbeam

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

A DAILY round trip of 76 miles on backroads!! You had better like the seat and clutch.

• duane5157

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

Spicer,
I had a klx250s if you do a couple quick easy mods, you will get about five extra horses. I put a 12t front sprocket on it and it would run 75mph all day and get near 60 miles per gallon. I weigh 260 pounds and put a heavier spring on the rear. The bike is a great d/s bike especially when you put on a acerbis fuel tank, gives you a 130 mile range. I traded up to the klx450r and Im in the process of making it a DS. Duane

• Spicler

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

A DAILY round trip of 76 miles on backroads!! You had better like the seat and clutch.

Yeah it's quite a drive... but it's not really back roads more like feeders and side streets but thats the reason I'm lookin into a DS because the Tacoma is only gettin 19mpg and the bike should pay for itself if I ride it more than a few days a week. Plus it gives me an excuse to get a dirtbike:applause:

• hunkybizkit

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:24 AM

i do 169 miles roundtrip a day on my XT250 when it's nice. 85mpg. the XT is less hp / less peppy than the WR or KLX's, but it runs on regular gas (WR needs premium due to high compression). it's cheaper than the WR also.
the WR and KLX are more performance-oriented, the XT is more of a pack horse / trail rider not for racing. here's a funny story about an XT225...

http://www.thumperpa...cles/Serow.html

• Spicler

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:43 AM

i do 169 miles roundtrip a day on my XT250 when it's nice. 85mpg. the XT is less hp / less peppy than the WR or KLX's, but it runs on regular gas (WR needs premium due to high compression). it's cheaper than the WR also.
the WR and KLX are more performance-oriented, the XT is more of a pack horse / trail rider not for racing. here's a funny story about an XT225...

http://www.thumperpa...cles/Serow.html

That was a good story... really gave me something to think about. I guess I'll have to ride the XT a little more. Thankfully I have until the end of July to make my decision.

• AbsoluteZero

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:23 PM

you must consider the TW200! :thumbsup:

Do not overlook this bike...

• OrangeTJ

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

If you're looking for more power, perhaps you should consider a DRZ400. Slightly used, they can be had for considerably less than a new KLX250. Nothing wrong with the KLX, as far as I can tell, but I'd imagine it would take considerable effort and $ to get it equivalent with the DRZ from a power perspective.

• YamaLink

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

In my neck of the woods, a used DRZ400 is the best value to power dualsport for everything I want/can do. Great bike!

If you're looking for more power, perhaps you should consider a DRZ400. Slightly used, they can be had for considerably less than a new KLX250. Nothing wrong with the KLX, as far as I can tell, but I'd imagine it would take considerable effort and $ to get it equivalent with the DRZ from a power perspective.

• beemerwolf

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

In my neck of the woods, a used DRZ400 is the best value to power dualsport for everything I want/can do. Great bike!

hey yama.........just humor us a bit here:bonk:

you do not have a location posted on your User Information,
nor did you mention your location in your post, just merely stating
.......[COLOR="Red"]"In my neck of the woods"[/COLOR]

this does nothing to help us with his question nor help the rest of us out here

so, in what section of the world might [COLOR="Red"]"a used DRZ400 is the best value to power dualsport" [/COLOR]be?????

HappyRiding !!
:thumbsup: :ride:

• tommytuttle

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:58 AM

I'm in the same boat.

I've been researching bikes like the DRZ 400 but the WR came up.. seems like an excellent bike but new $$ and used they are hard to find. I'm also thinking the KLX250 might be good but when reading some of the reviews it seems they need a little work to get going.

• Spicler

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

I'm in the same boat.

I've been researching bikes like the DRZ 400 but the WR came up.. seems like an excellent bike but new $$ and used they are hard to find. I'm also thinking the KLX250 might be good but when reading some of the reviews it seems they need a little work to get going.

Wow! I noticed I started this thread??? I didn't even remember :foul: Anyway I ended up with a DRZ and couldn't be happier. Just be prepared to spend alot on aftermarket crap. And I'm still not done... I said I couldn't be happier but the wife on the other hand :ride:

Hell that just means I have to make it up to her in other ways
:worthy: :banana: :ride: :thumbsup: It's good to be a man...

Oh yeah, I think my friend with the xt wishes he had a little more grunt if you know what I mean.

• jjm525

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

Xt might as well have been designed in the 80s, the performance from the engine/susp/brakes isn't much of an upgrade from a 1980 XT250. The 1980 might even hold an edge in some catagories...

The KLX is a child of the 90s, clear roots and direct decendant of the KLX300s that were lacking in certain qualities even back then.

The DRZ, though seemingly long in the tooth, was a year 2000 release from a fresh sheet. Of the three it is the most modern.

Sit on em & if you were around for the bikes of the 70s, 80s, 90s and today you can feel the time each would be found in. That isn't really a knock on any, they each serve a purpose & have a market spot. Of the 3, and they all need work and $$$, the DRZ is the most capable and has the most potential as a more serious trail tool. You were wise to start with it rather than find the ceiling and go past the point of diminishing returns with the others IMO.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.