how to grease 2006 yz450f swingarm linkage

16 replies to this topic
  • husqy360

Posted May 17, 2008 - 02:05 PM

hello fellow riders
im new to thumpertalk and have a few question.

i just got me a new (new for me) 2006 yz450f, bike is in amazing shape!:thumbsup:

so which parts i should retight regrease or re check ?
i will appreciate any other tips.

i live in edmonton ab so any riders around the city that want to ride let me know, im a preety good rider, not a pro, and im 24

thanks for helping
james!
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2045377/

how do i attach pic?

• KJ790

Posted May 17, 2008 - 02:53 PM

Definitely take the steering head apart and pack those bearings with grease. Then take the linkage out and pack all the bearings and seals with grease. It doesn't hurt to push some grease in the wheel bearing seals (make sure they are clean first) and grease the axles so they come out easier. Take the chain adjuster bolts out of the back of the swingarm and grease them as well to prevent them from freezing in the swingarm later.

• husqy360

Posted May 17, 2008 - 05:20 PM

will do !!
thanks man

keep it coming

• jamiehughes

Posted May 17, 2008 - 08:40 PM

be careful when putting grease in the suspension link, they have needle bearings in there that will move when you put grease in there.

• husqy360

Posted May 17, 2008 - 08:45 PM

ok thank but how do i open/take apart the swingarm.
my old husqy had a grease nipple.

• Kasjok

Posted May 17, 2008 - 11:10 PM

be careful when putting grease in the suspension link, they have needle bearings in there that will move when you put grease in there.

Actually the right way to do this is to take all the needles out. Carefully so that you don`t drop any and wash them clean in a little solvent bottle or something. Then you can also clean throughly the outer races of bearings and put it all together with new grease.

• drumurr

Posted May 18, 2008 - 05:51 AM

http://www.transworl...1012822,00.html
Good Link

• blue9red9

Posted May 18, 2008 - 02:04 PM

Flush the brakes if it hasn't been done recently. Read up on rerouting the breather hose into the airbox. I have the 06 450. Very nice. I'm satisfied.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:28 AM

http://www.transworl...1012822,00.html
Good Link

true :thumbsup:
thanks

• husqy360

Posted May 19, 2008 - 12:35 AM

Flush the brakes if it hasn't been done recently. Read up on rerouting the breather hose into the airbox. I have the 06 450. Very nice. I'm satisfied.

wow that is a weird place to put that hose.

i know that even in older quads the hose goes to the air box.

ill try to move in somwhere safer/higher and use my rc air filter.

thanks for the tip

so after the first ride
im very happy with the bike, ride like a killer.
seems like 2nd gear is little to short for deep sand and front felt little heavy, i got uset to it preety fast tho.

• rexbond007

Posted May 19, 2008 - 07:39 AM

make sure you sag is set for your weight. makes a huge difference in sand.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=271134

• husqy360

Posted May 20, 2008 - 02:10 PM

make sure you sag is set for your weight. makes a huge difference in sand.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=271134

thanks ill try that next time im out !

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted May 20, 2008 - 04:58 PM

Hey Husky Im in Stony Plain. Where you been riding at. Nice bike too good choice! You ride track or just trails??

About the breather hose do that before you hit the sand again! I ride lots of sand out at Bruderheim and your bound to get some up the hose at some point.

• husqy360

Posted May 20, 2008 - 11:28 PM

hey
im new in edmonton, i live in the west side
last week i was at bruderheim for few hours but its preety small.
do you know on any longer trails around edmonton?
i ride anything i find!
i toke a long break from dirtbikes after few bad crashes.
do you know if that motocross track around the small airport open to the public?

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted May 21, 2008 - 05:33 AM

Hey Husky the track in edmonton by the airport is Castrol Raceway ive never ridden there. Its got a drag strip and oval track but the motocross portion is open on tuesday and thursdays 5-9pm and thats open practice.

Where in bruderhiem were you because there are 2 sides and a very extensive trail system you just have to know where to look. :thumbsup:

as far as more trails go Theres redwater, vega (watch for cops as if you cross the road its government land) I hear theres decent pits out at westlock i have yet to see for myself. But theres not many options that are very close to edmonton. Check out the Where 2 Ride section on the forums here!

• husqy360

Posted May 21, 2008 - 03:56 PM

just finished the breather hose mod.

Posted Image
FreshDonutsCAN send me a pm when you go riding ill come !

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted May 21, 2008 - 07:13 PM

awesome will do!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.