Valve Shim Removal Help

3 replies to this topic
  • DeeCee

Posted May 17, 2008 - 03:52 AM

I have removed the exhaust cam from my YZ400 so I can install a 450 cam. I was surprised to find an odd shim in one exhaust valve. Any bright ideas about how I may remove this shim ? I have tried a magnet and the like without success.

See picture:

http://i305.photobuc...dj/PICT0936.jpg

• maddogyz250f

Posted May 17, 2008 - 04:54 AM

You could try attaching a rod or something with some strong epoxy. Once it sets up, you should be able to pull it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2008 - 07:18 AM

Using a punch, tap the edge of the spring retainer lightly several times. This should dislodge the shim and start it out of the retainer. Use caution so as not to ding the lifter bore.

• DeeCee

Posted May 18, 2008 - 07:30 AM

Gave it a couple of taps as you suggested Gray and it popped out OK. Seems the previous owner must have not had any shims and tried grinding one down.

New shims on order. Thanks for the tip Gray, most appreciated.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.