07 electric starter problem

5 replies to this topic
  • Storbeck

Posted May 16, 2008 - 07:56 PM

I recently had my 07 wr 450 completely apart, cases split down to nothing, it's back together and it runs great now, but for some reason the electric starter doesn't work now. When you hit the button you just get the solelnoid click like the battery is dead, but with fully charged battery and even when jumping with a car battery it still does it. I took the torque limiter gear out to see if the motor works with no load and it does. It spins and it's going the right direction, but when I put it back together nothing, just click.

Haven't had time to really get into it and start troubleshooting but thought somebody might know about some common thing that can be put together wrong and cause this.

And just to make things more fun I've got oil leaking from somewhere so I might be taking everything back apart anyway. Don't think I could tolerate the thing leaking like a ##$% Harley.

• William1

Posted May 17, 2008 - 01:46 AM

Make sure the thick ground cable is connected to the engine (Bolt tight)

• Pluto67

Posted May 17, 2008 - 07:23 AM

Harleys don't leak anymore

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted May 17, 2008 - 10:25 PM

I recently had my 07 wr 450 completely apart, cases split down to nothing, it's back together and it runs great now, but for some reason the electric starter doesn't work now. When you hit the button you just get the solelnoid click like the battery is dead, but with fully charged battery and even when jumping with a car battery it still does it. I took the torque limiter gear out to see if the motor works with no load and it does. It spins and it's going the right direction, but when I put it back together nothing, just click.

Haven't had time to really get into it and start troubleshooting but thought somebody might know about some common thing that can be put together wrong and cause this.

And just to make things more fun I've got oil leaking from somewhere so I might be taking everything back apart anyway. Don't think I could tolerate the thing leaking like a ##$% Harley.

Why did you have the bike apart?

• mikeythefokker

Posted May 18, 2008 - 12:38 AM

Try all of the wires, at all of their connections, easiest first. And if that doesn't work, hit it with a hammer. I had an old ford truck, and that used to work.

• guane

Posted May 18, 2008 - 12:16 PM

:thumbsup: Sorry, i am in spain and my english is poor. I have two friends with wr450´07 and wr450´08. Both with the same problem. The electric motor of starter had the burned coil (bad wire cupper). The problem begin when the piston keep in an point with many compression, then you push the button and don´t work it. You push again and the electric starter become hot. If you move a few the piston with the foot, the electric starter work great. The problem is the section of wire for the electric starter. I hope to clear the mind.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.