best position for forks in clamps

3 replies to this topic
  • WIRE-DOC

Posted May 16, 2008 - 06:17 PM

I have an 08wr450. Suspension has been revalved and resprung for my weight. My friend says that raising the forks in the clamps will make it turn better. Is this true?

• WIRE-DOC

Posted May 16, 2008 - 08:24 PM

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • w00dsRider

Posted May 17, 2008 - 03:03 AM

I have an 08wr450. Suspension has been revalved and resprung for my weight. My friend says that raising the forks in the clamps will make it turn better. Is this true?

I know the geometry between the 06 and 08 is slightly different but before I had Factory Connection rework my forks I raised the forks 6mm which did help my bike turn a bit better. Since the FC magic I have the forks raised only 1mm to 2mm.

So yes it is true but there is a down side as well. Raising the forks will increase the likelihood of head shake at speed.

Good luck!

• RickSanson

Posted May 17, 2008 - 07:46 AM

Yep, your friend is correct. It doesn't take much. Effectively you're shortening the wheelbase. I raised mine about 4mm and then removed the stops on my swingarm (07WR450) and shortened my chain pushing the rear tire up as far as it can go without damage...

Now doing tight woods stuff I turn so tight that I can almost see myself in front of me. I'm not doing 70MPH stuff either so higher speed stability isn't an issue (I'm geared at 14/52 anyway which I love).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.