99 or 00?

9 replies to this topic
  • XVWDVW

Posted November 23, 2002 - 05:57 PM

I recently purchased an electrex dual sport kit for my WR400. The instructions for the kit say I need to up the output of the stator to run the kit. I was hoping to run the kit and see how it went but right now I am having a problem finding a second yellow wire per the instructions, I think because I don't have the high output stator. Anyway, to add to my confusion I was on the DMV site the other day trying to figure out what the Nevada requirements for a dual sport and when I punched in my VIN # last two digits being 99 and all, it came up as a 00 bike. So, I was told that the 00 and newer bikes have double the 98/99's 75 watt output which seems like it would be plenty to run the kit.
So, if it ends in a 99 is it still possible to be a 00? If it is an 00 do I still need the stator upgrade?
So far, about eight hours in, I have installed the brake light, turnsignals and brakelight switches, I was saving what I thought would be the easy part for last.
Thanks in advance.
Max

• wnadrag

Posted November 23, 2002 - 06:44 PM

All I know is if it is a 2000 or newer you don't need to rewind the stator.

• MN_Kevin

Posted November 23, 2002 - 10:58 PM

is your question "is it a 99 or 00"?

The easy way to tell is the carb is completely different design. The 99 has an external rod (w/ a little rubber accordian boot) that actuates the accelerator pump. The 00 and > use an internal rod.

• randall996

Posted November 24, 2002 - 05:09 AM

Every Vin # From 84 to present will tell the year. The way you do it is count back 8 digits from the last, if it is a Y it is a year 2000. s=95 t=96 v=97 w=98 x=99 y=2000 1=2001 2=2002 3=2003 Get it! Thought this might be helpful to somebody :)

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 24, 2002 - 07:11 AM

According to my Baja Designs book. The 98-99 models had 80 watts the 2000 and up have 120 watts. Baja designs can rewind the stock stator on the 98-99 to put out 130 watts. I dont know how much juice the electrex kit needs to work.

I was just surfin www.electrexusa.com site and found a side note in the Dakar application guide that said that the WR's require a simple stator mod. Then I found this document stator mod This may be what you need. Its a PDF file.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XVWDVW

Posted November 24, 2002 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for all the quick replies. I counted 8 back on the VIN and the letter is a Y. The carb does not appear to have any accordian thing (see pics at the bottom of this page http://albums.photo....&a=30311693&f=0 ) so, you guys have pretty much convinced me that my bike is a 00. It's a little embarassing that I didn't know what year bike I bought,,, but good to know now.
This brings up a new question. On my Electrex wiring harnes there are two yellow wires I am supposed to hook up from my stator, but I only have one from my stator. Think I could just hook up one? Should I wire the two from the harness together to plug into my one stator wire? I may have to wait til' Mo. on this one and call Electrex.
Thanks again for all the help.
Max

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 24, 2002 - 10:41 AM

I think that stator Mod link I gave ya above explains the extra yellow wire needed.

• XVWDVW

Posted November 24, 2002 - 10:51 AM

Thanks YZMAN, I saw that page too, I just thought it was for a rewound stator. I will go back and read the pages again from a 00 perspective.
Max :)

• XVWDVW

Posted November 24, 2002 - 11:13 AM

Ok, now is it possible to remove the stator rotor without a puller?
Max

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 25, 2002 - 04:55 AM

You will need a flywheel puller. They are like $15 at the yamaha shop. Once you get the flywheel off, the stator plate is held on by 3 torx head screws.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.