Removing a WR 450 flywheel

4 replies to this topic
  • Carl_Mega

Posted May 16, 2008 - 09:36 AM

I need to check my starter clutch but I'm having a hard time removing the flywheel. The only tool I found to do it is a Motion Pro that costs $40!:thumbsup: (MP 08-0390).

Is there a garage method to get this off? I really don't want to spend $$ on a tool I'll use once.

Thanks.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 16, 2008 - 11:04 AM

I need to check my starter clutch but I'm having a hard time removing the flywheel. The only tool I found to do it is a Motion Pro that costs $40!:rolleyes: (MP 08-0390).

Is there a garage method to get this off? I really don't want to spend $$ on a tool I'll use once.

Thanks.

What year is your bike?

I just paid $57 for another brand, it's 33mm x 1.5 RH thread... this worked on my 07. I don't think you want to use any other method, flywheels are probably a lot more to replace than the investment into a puller...:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Carl_Mega

Posted May 16, 2008 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I found a tool from TrailTech for $20 (click link for item description).

That's a bit more palatable.

It's a 2004.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 16, 2008 - 11:35 AM

When you know the size and thread pitch on the puller can you post it? I am still not convinced that the 07's are different from other years and want to know if I got hosed or not, not that it will replace the $57 into my bank account but live and learn is my motto when working on this bike.:rolleyes:

Good luck!

You should invest in a timing chain ($12) if you are going to have the flywheel off... you can adjust valves as needed at the same time :thumbsup: It's a little more work but on 2004 it would be cheap insurance if, like I said you are going to have the flywheel off.

Best of luck:ride:

• Carl_Mega

Posted May 16, 2008 - 11:54 AM

MotionProTool

This tool's description says it's a 33X1.5 from 04-06.

However, the bikeMaster tool says it's 30MM. I don't think that's right. The woman at the motoshop checked to see if it was a misprint and it apparently is...that's the wr250 tool.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.