18 in. or 19 in. rear wheel?

2 replies to this topic
  • Kermit

Posted May 13, 2002 - 08:51 AM

What are the advantages/disadvantages? Does the 18 incher give the bike more snap? Lesser rotating mass. I am assuming that you can get a fatter tire for them. This is for a desert bike. I am planning to purchase a new one (bent my current one) Taking in the pros and cons.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted May 13, 2002 - 11:22 AM

I would think the main or only difference is you are trading in rim for tire. So w/ the 18 incher you have more rubber between rocks and your rim.

Good for the dez, not so good for handling on a hard-packed motocross track.

I personally have long wanted an 18 incher for my YZ since all I do is dez/off road (lots of rocks, sand, and gravel), but have been content with just running the larger size (120) tires. My favorite is the Dunlop 739 A/T, decent sand tread, very strong (and heavy), many-plyed tire.

Hope this helps.

• Kermit

Posted May 13, 2002 - 05:01 PM

Hick,

Yeah that is what I thought. I run the D739s (120). I get about 1000 miles out of them.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.