YZF 400 Help

3 replies to this topic
  • zach400f

Posted May 15, 2008 - 09:14 PM

I have a YZ 400 just bought used, its a 1998, I rode it once and I cant get it started again. Any Info or suggestions on what might be the problem would be great!

• dejavudarrell

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:31 PM

Sorry to hear it won't start, Try Looking at condition of sparkplug first then cleaning and checking fuel & carb then CDI unit. Good luck.
And tell us what is was later.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • usmcpaul

Posted May 16, 2008 - 04:18 AM

Try the easy stuff first. I would first check for fuel and spark. You can remove the air filter, turn the fuel off and try to start it using a little starting fluid. That will at least tell you if its a fuel problem or not. Dont use too much, a little goes a long way. It should run for about 2 or 3 seconds on a little shot of starting fluid.

Disclaimer: there is a chance for a backfire, so be prepared to put it out.

Then go from there...spark, compression, timing.

If you have all four, it will start.(I think its a Newtonian Law....lol)

• 1rkcooper

Posted May 16, 2008 - 08:13 PM

The bike being new to you I will presume you need some work on the starting procedures, I know I did.

If you are unsure of the starting procedure go to the top of the YZ forum and into the common threads sticky, at the bottom are two videos produced by Yamaha on starting procedures.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.