Timesert Failure

8 replies to this topic
  • gjones

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:28 AM

OK, so a while back I did the unthinkable and stripped out the oil drain bolt on the left side case on my '06 450. (The one under the ignition cover). I repaired the drain with a timesert. Untill yesterday it had performed flawlessly. When I went to do an oil chnage last night I loosened the drain bolt and noticed when I removed it that it had something just under the copper washer on the bolt. After a bit of looking I determined it was the shoulder on the timesert and the first thread. Apparently what happened is the timesert fractured and left about five threads in the side case and the top portion stayed on the bolt.

Has anyone had this happen? If so how did you get the remainder of the insert out. I can replace the insert I am just looking for suggestions as to how to get the insert out....:thumbsup:

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:42 AM

I would try a screw extractor ("easy-out") first.

• matt420-46

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:58 AM

was the timesert installed using something like permatex or just put in as is?
If it was put in as is, I'd clean hte hole up, put permatex on the oil drain bolt, let it set up, remove it, (it should pull the timesert right out with it), and get a new timesert and drain plug.

• gjones

Posted May 15, 2008 - 11:01 AM

I figured I would try that this evening. The only thing that concerns me is the design of the timesert. If I understand it correctly when it is installed with the tool it deforms the last couple of threads (deepest in the hole) so that it "bites" so to speak, into the aluminum housing. My concern is that if the screw extractor does not work I have now damaged what is left of the insert. At that point I am committed, and my be down a road I do not want to go down.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted May 15, 2008 - 12:54 PM

I have never heard of a timesert failing. Did you go to the timesert page to see if they explain how to remove one?

• todds924

Posted May 15, 2008 - 05:39 PM

I figured I would try that this evening. The only thing that concerns me is the design of the timesert. If I understand it correctly when it is installed with the tool it deforms the last couple of threads (deepest in the hole) so that it "bites" so to speak, into the aluminum housing. My concern is that if the screw extractor does not work I have now damaged what is left of the insert. At that point I am committed, and my be down a road I do not want to go down.....

If you used a timesert you are correct that when it is installed the "setting" tool flares out the last couple of threads. If you used loctite to put it in like your supposed to, A screw extractor will take it out.....with a little heat. I have had to remove them before and thats what worked for me. I would try that and then put a new one in.

• usmcpaul

Posted May 15, 2008 - 06:39 PM

I have removed heli-coils using a pick and needle nose pliers. I used the pick and got under the heli-coil enough to grab it with the pliers and then twisted (counterclockwise) and pulled. They came out very easy and did not damage the aluminum parts.

I have never used timeserts though.

• matt420-46

Posted May 16, 2008 - 05:24 AM

straight from their website...
TIME-SERTs can be removed with a spiral point screw extractor, or drilled out with the drill that came in the repair kit.
http://www.timesert....ultools.html#se

• Ga426owner

Posted May 16, 2008 - 05:36 AM

The real question is why did it fracture....I have never seen one do this before

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.