xr650r street legal

13 replies to this topic
  • screechingdemon

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

I have been toying with the idea of picking up a XR650R for a while, but haven't due to the fact that I haven't figured out a way to tag it in KS. I love the power of my bros 03 that is uncorked and running with an Edelbrok carb. I currently have a DRZ with a big bore kit and it is fun to ride, but there are many times during the morning commute I would love to have more power.

Has anyone gone through making a dirtbike street legal in Ks?
What does such a kit cost?
What does a set of SM wheels run?
Are there any other mods I would want or need to do besides a power up kit and a different carb?
One thing I would miss on the Z is the electric start, is there a kit for the XR and at what cost?
Also is there a way to add passenger pegs? The wife and I spend the weekend checking out all the backroads on the Z now and would like to continue that with the XR.

For those of you that commute on the XR what kind of mileage do you get?

Thanks for the help in advance, screech.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kusy

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

i too would like to know the answer to his questions

• jasonf68

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:07 PM

i have xr650r with 17' excel rims.i use to commute and get about 150-160klm on a tank.cruise on about 70klm/hr(live in australia).
have been pulled over and number plate is on rear gaurd(so is flat and hard to see)and they didn't even quiz it..
all other answers can be found on internet..
see ya

• hondacrf150f1

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

maby there is somebody from kansas that can chime in, and let you know about laws there....you can always get a baja designs kit for the bike, it comes with a horn, high/low beam, brake light, all signals, basically everything you need to be legal except for a horn.

SM wheels $1000-$1900 depending on what you want, + your gona need a rotor, and relocator, $250-$500. The E start kit is a waste of money, i think it goes for like $800-$1000:banghead:

• screechingdemon

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

So basically the sm wheels are going to cost me a little more then what it took for my Z. Great that is all I need to do, start another expensive project. :thumbsup:

Sounds like the mileage is comparable to what I have now.

I will have to follow up on my own on the whole tagging process. From what I have gathered in KS you used to be able to tag a dirt bike pretty easily, but in the last several years have changed things so you can't unless it is already tagged in another state.

How is the seat for commuting? The stock Z seat was a killer.

• azfabguy

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

my last tank of fuel netted me 43 mpg

• BMAVERICK

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:40 PM

My uncorked R gets me around 66 miles before I hit the reserve on a stock tank. I run about 20 miles at 45mph with a few stop lights, and around 10 miles at 75-80mph on the highway. I ride hard on the street, so I'm sure you can get better. Baja designs EZ mount kit that took about 2 hours of EZ instalation. I'm running Dunlop 606's but I did have front and rears balanced for the first set, I changed the second set myself and didn't balance them...you can feel the difference at 75mph.
AZ is really easy to street legal a bike, hardest part is passing emissions. I ended up screwing myself last time by turning down my idle....HC NOX way too high! went back in an hour later, stopped around the corner, removed air cleaner, and jacked idle up as high as I felt believable, and passed with the 'quick check'. I added a GOOD quality mirror after the acerbis POS kept falling. I cannot stand riding the street w/o a mirror.

Just to add, I dual sport ride with friends that have a drz400, 650L, and klr650, and I will take my R over all of them. I do want to invest in a softer seat though. 1 hour on the street, and I start thinking about preperation H. haha I also have the Baja passenger pegs, but you best have a girlfriend with a small, hard well, you know. If you can get away w/o having a light above the plate, I would suggest not using the plate/brake light with the BD kit. on more technical trails, the weight of the assembly bends the rear fender down to the tire. I've wired mine to use the stock tailight, and only have the brake circuit hooked up to the led BD tailight.

• scalejockey

Posted 23 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

EZ 2hr. install on the B-D kit. Wow your good,it took me two days before i was happy with everything.
Your right about the floppy rear fender with the add-on. I had to put a "arc" brace accross the fat section under the fender.It keeps it from sagging long wise.
I'll post a pic if needed..

• jdubb75

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with the B/D tail light. My fender barely notices it's wearing it.

Posted Image

• dirtmissle

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:19 PM

I just finished putting a Trick Dual Sport Kit on my 02. I was really impressed with the ease of install. I used the tail assembly from Acerbis with taillights and plate light in one unit. No turn signals sticking out although I am worried about the fender a bit. I'm curious about the fender brace. I'm from Tennessee and was worried about plating my bike, seems that some DMV's have been pressured not to allow bikes with the word "offroad" printed on the title to be plated. I was lucky that my title didn't and the dmv didn't even inspect the bike. I am legal of course. The bike is really fun to ride on the street and dirt roads. I am going to gear it high to get rid of the buzzing on he highway.

• BMAVERICK

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:33 AM

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with the B/D tail light. My fender barely notices it's wearing it.

Indiana must use lighter weight plates than Arizona....either that, or our rocks are bigger!:thumbsup:

• 744x4

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

I cant get a Title/registration here in SC without the MSO and I dont have one.I guess I will see how much Honda will charge me to replace it.I may try to get it done in GA where my parents live if it is easier.Anyone from GA done it.

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:09 AM

you will more than happy with the trick kit.......i am!!!!

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

I just finished putting a Trick Dual Sport Kit on my 02. I was really impressed with the ease of install. I used the tail assembly from Acerbis with taillights and plate light in one unit. No turn signals sticking out although I am worried about the fender a bit. I'm curious about the fender brace. I'm from Tennessee and was worried about plating my bike, seems that some DMV's have been pressured not to allow bikes with the word "offroad" printed on the title to be plated. I was lucky that my title didn't and the dmv didn't even inspect the bike. I am legal of course. The bike is really fun to ride on the street and dirt roads. I am going to gear it high to get rid of the buzzing on he highway.

you man.....thats who i was talking too:banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

FMF Powerbomb vs HiFlo Headers by jevon.pearse

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L owner here. by chrisross

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 15 replies
Forums
Photo

Expensive sounds after hard running in the dunes. XR600R by jeepertom

• 19 replies
Forums
Photo

hi from the Netherlands by okay73

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Funny story out of my FCR tuning saga! by bradrup

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.