2000 WR 400: Which Motor Oil? And other quesitons...

11 replies to this topic
  • bbr711

Posted May 15, 2008 - 08:19 AM

I realize there are thousands of posts on TT concerning this issue, and I've read many of them over that past hour... Nothing seems conclusive to me...

I've always used Yamalube 20/40 in my bike, but I'm tired of driving the 45 minutes to the shop to pick it up... Yeah, I could buy it in bulk, but I'm hoping to avoid that.

Is there another motor oil out there that I can run in my bike? Something I can pick up at Auto Zone or Wal Mart?

Are synthetics really that risky?

Is Mobil I 15/50 the way to go?

Should I avoid automobile oil altogether??

Thanks for any input!

• wartsnuff

Posted May 15, 2008 - 08:22 AM

I have been using 5w50 mobile one racing formula for my bike.

I have done maybe 500-600km's on my new bike with this oil no problems so far. but the bike is very young.

cheers
Warts

• matt420-46

Posted May 15, 2008 - 08:37 AM

10-40 will work just as well and it's available just about everywhere, Motul, amsoil or belray are the ones I use

• byggd

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:41 AM

Several things always come to light on these oil threads…....
1)These thumpers beat the crap out of oil, change it often
2)Brand it's critical as long as you change it often
3)Be sure the oil does not say "energy conserving" or you may have clutch slippage
4)Did I mention change it often??

• kjr247

Posted May 15, 2008 - 03:35 PM

I order from the web once a year. I use Honda HP4 (without moly) in mine because I also use it in my XR400.

• roushxteam199

Posted May 15, 2008 - 04:20 PM

ya i will be using ford diesel 10-40. i get all type of car oil for free and that seems like the right oil for the occasion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zsebi-2

Posted May 15, 2008 - 06:52 PM

Several things always come to light on these oil threads…....
1)These thumpers beat the crap out of oil, change it often
2)Brand it's critical as long as you change it often
3)Be sure the oil does not say "energy conserving" or you may have clutch slippage
4)Did I mention change it often??

what he said: ^
no "energy conserving"
mobil 1 red cap 15-50, 5-50, 20-50 car oil, synthetic is your best choice.= it is expensive.
Shell rotella conventional and synthetic is good oil. Many people I know use it in their street bikes, I used in my dirt bikes and ATV.
Oil technology/refinement has improved over the years greatly.Today's oils are all good.

• Solo

Posted May 15, 2008 - 08:54 PM

I use Amsoil synthetic in mine. Except right now I'm using Mobile 4T non-synthetic since I'm breaking in some cams. Next oil change I'll put Amsoil back in. Oil is to opinions is to a-holes. Everone has one and they're all different. Run what you want and change it often. Just AVOID "energy conserving" oils. Almost all car oils have this rating.

Posted Image

See that "energy conserving" in the API label? You DON'T want that.

• WildRide

Posted May 15, 2008 - 11:18 PM

Rotella T

• byggd

Posted May 16, 2008 - 04:04 AM

Rotella T

That's what I run, 5w40, get it at wallyword......

• wartsnuff

Posted May 16, 2008 - 05:59 AM

all good oils,

I believe everyone is correct. change your oil always... lots n lots.

changing mine tonight for the weekend! :thumbsup:

cheers
Warts

• billy the kidd

Posted December 20, 2009 - 06:12 PM

does any body see an issue in using royal purple 20-50 in my 07 ,, i always have some sitting around my garage , i use it in my jet boat and have to buy it by the case

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.