last two rides no idle???

7 replies to this topic
  • wartsnuff

Posted May 15, 2008 - 07:02 AM

Hey Guys,

i have a 2008 WR450, and the last two rides the bike has been not able to keep idle. . ??

it has 600km's on it now ... its had 6-8 oil change's

AIS removal kit.
air box snorkel removed.
YZ throttle stop.

just did the grey wire mod.... that when it started to pop on decell, not back fire. just a pop pop pop, that was ok

but it starts and runs great 160km/h still have a tiny off idle bog. but it seem my idle problems started after disconnecting the grey wire. I will try tonight to see if reconnecting stops the problem. but somehow i think it will not change anything!!

but now the last two rides the it starts out idling fine... then it gets lower and lower till it won't idle... but still starts and runs easy ???

then it will idle fine.. then it won't .... seems to have a mind of its own ?

any thoughts ...

oh i have two air filters... they are :thumbsup: clean :rolleyes: always :rolleyes:

cheers
Warts

• William1

Posted May 15, 2008 - 07:32 AM

Revisit the fuel screw setting and pilot jet. Being it gets worse with the engine heating up, sounds like it may be too rich.

• wartsnuff

Posted May 15, 2008 - 08:15 AM

Revisit the fuel screw setting and pilot jet. Being it gets worse with the engine heating up, sounds like it may be too rich.

maybe i guess, i have not done any jetting yet.. i do have the JD jetting kit on order!

i will be doing the carb after the long weekend. clean and make some jetting change's i was going to go richer ?? thinking that would help with the off idle bog ??

thanks for the insight !

cheers
Warts

• matt420-46

Posted May 15, 2008 - 08:40 AM

It's probably your oil!

Just kidding - read your oil post, had to say it.

I'd do as said above, you've made some airflow changes, fuel has to be adapted to suit.

popping means lean, since you've opened the airbox, you've provided more air, and likely need to provide more fuel at idle now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wartsnuff

Posted May 15, 2008 - 09:10 AM

It's probably your oil!

Just kidding - read your oil post, had to say it.

I'd do as said above, you've made some airflow changes, fuel has to be adapted to suit.

popping means lean, since you've opened the airbox, you've provided more air, and likely need to provide more fuel at idle now.

hehe thanks,

when i get the kit i will richen everything up and try it :rolleyes:

tanks for the advise :thumbsup:

cheers
Warts

• Frostbite

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:25 AM

hehe thanks,

cheers
Warts

Something quick to check - the AIS removal kit cap on the right side of the cylinder near the back corner. The other 450 in town pulled up beside me last week and said his bike started idling funny. I could actually hear a vacuum hiss and took a quick look and saw the cap missing.

My own bike is idling badly at the moment, but I'm sure it's a blocked air jet in the carb. It's rideable, so I'm just waiting till I feel like taking it all apart to fix properly. If I pull my hot start lever in while riding, my idle increases about 1000 rpm. That's a good quick way to tell if your idle is bad because of too rich. If it runs better at idle or small throttle openings with the lever in when the engine is hot, you're likely rich on the bottom end.

• William1

Posted May 15, 2008 - 10:49 AM

Good point about the AIS vaccum port cap, Frostbite!

I used the original clamp from the vaccum hose on mine to make sure it stays put.

When you get the James Dean jet kit, follow the instructions exactly for your altitude and setup. Do not second guess JD.

• kskyles

Posted May 15, 2008 - 01:59 PM

hehe thanks,

cheers
Warts

Hey Warts-

The JD Kit doesn't come with any pilot jets, so make sure you get some before the kit arrives.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.