Front Brake Switch 2008 WR450f

11 replies to this topic
  • chris_TTR250

Posted May 15, 2008 - 02:59 AM

Hello,

Does the standard WR450 have a front brake switch?

I'm in Australia and I think its something fitted to meet our road registration requirements. If theres anyone on here from Australia? And perhaps they could tell me what they did with the switch and cable if they removed the ADR wiring harness.

Cheers,
Chris.

• CORider63

Posted May 15, 2008 - 06:04 AM

No switch on my 2007 WR-450. I don't have access to the owner's manual for a 2008, but I don't believe it has one, either.

• mekc

Posted May 15, 2008 - 07:17 AM

2008 wr dont have brake switch, my euorapan version dont have it. But bikes for australian market must be have it i mean, coz it have turn signals, number plate, mirrors and etc...
Posted Image

• trailhead2004

Posted May 21, 2008 - 02:37 PM

I just picked up my '08 a few weeks ago and no, there is no front brake switch. Installing one would require modifying the brake handle mount which would probably just screw it up and weaken it. But your choice.

I have also looked into brake levers for other Yami's like the XT and WR25FX and they are a different handle. Personally, I like the adjustment feature on my WR so I will probably not put a front brake switch on it.

One other thought I have had is possibly going with the basic hydraulic switch that most people put on the back MC. I haven't found a suitable adaptor and doubt one exists. The problem with the front mounting is that the switch would stick out too far from the hand guards and probably get broken off. It would require a 90 degree fitting of some kind to piont the switch up or down.

trailhead2004

• tweav

Posted May 21, 2008 - 05:57 PM

On my 07 I put a hyd brake switch on the front brake . It's real ez just swap it for the bolt in the banjo fitting on the front master cylinder.

• trailhead2004

Posted May 22, 2008 - 06:16 AM

:thumbsup:

On my 07 I put a hyd brake switch on the front brake . It's real ez just swap it for the bolt in the banjo fitting on the front master cylinder.

Do you have a picture? How far out does it hang past handguards?

I'm running the Acerbis Rally Pro guards and I can guarantee that any switch I've found will hang out about 1/2 inch or more and the wiring will be dangling out further than that. I'm not to happy with the prospect of snagging that on a branch going by and ripping the switch apart.

Show me your install.

trailhead2004

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • taycam

Posted May 25, 2008 - 06:51 PM

you can get the hydraulic switch from baja designs

• cagarren

Posted May 26, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Can you use a brake switch with the stock led tail light on an 07/08 or does it need to be replaced with a dual element type light?

• obsessivecompulsive

Posted May 26, 2008 - 11:59 AM

They come with a hydraulic switch, I had to unplug mine as it was giving an electric shock through the brake lever when braking:confused:

• MountainMax

Posted May 26, 2008 - 01:31 PM

Well i have an 06 but my wires and switch for the brake light, hides away nicely under my acerbis hand guards, here are a couple of pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

• trailhead2004

Posted May 27, 2008 - 09:25 AM

MountainMax,
That looks like a pretty nice install. Did you narrow your bars some? When I look at my handguard, the switch would stick out past the front of the guard whereas your is protected by teh flap/flag sticking up in front of the reservoir.

trailhead2004

• MountainMax

Posted May 27, 2008 - 12:49 PM

just bolted the covers on and the swithc, no modifying anything, but like i said mine is an 06

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.