Fmf Powercore TI + powerbomb

29 replies to this topic
  • sick 96 250

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

Well guys havent even owned my 04 yz250f for less than a week and already buying things for it. I just got what I think is a pretty darn good deal on a FMF powercore TI set-up with powerbomb header. Does any here have this set-up and what gains or losses have you came across and any info on how the power curve is would be great. I liked it because it has the spark arrester adapter with it and in some area;s we ride its required.

I read a decent amount of thread on the powercore and the powerbomb but didnt find to much info on the set-up together as one. Mostly one person had the powercore and someone else added the powerbomb to a different FMF pipe.

ANy info would be great and I assume just like any other bike, the jetting will need to be tweaked.

Thanks

• KJ790

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:06 PM

I've run many of the combinations FMF offers. The ti-powercore mimics the stock powercurve offering little to no performance gain. The powerbomb gives slightly better lowend power than stock and keeps the topend pretty much the same. The combo together is pretty much the same as the powerbomb with the stock silencer. The ti-powercore is nice because it is a rock solid pipe, doesn't stick out behind the numberplate far, and is a little lighter than stock.

• sick 96 250

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

My stock pipe is a little beat up and with not even really ridden the bike much I def needed something to make it look nicer at least. I actually like the stock power curve with this bike as it is my first 4t. Been riding my RM250 and KTM300exc but wanted to try a 4t. I decided on a 250f because with my 2t bikes where I ride I have met many cactus because of the hard snap on power. This 250f feels great though with how the power is already but the exhaust was a little beat up. For just over a $100 I got the FMF set-up so I figured why not.

I have read so many mixed reviews of the powercore TI that its hard to get a real response on it. Some say same as stock, others say great low end and better over rev. Seems to be a brand type thing with many people, if they dont have that brand asked about its junk. The SA with this though was a main concern so I just hope it pulls a little harder where I needed and still be legal to ride where I need the SA.

Just curious though, how can FMF hype up a pipe that does nothing, I know it happens with tons of companies but I have always had success with FMF on my 2t bikes. I guess we'll see what happens

• KJ790

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

As with many less expensive pipes, when it comes to performance you get what you pay for. The ti-powercore is a rock solid pipe, and is lighter, shorter, and better looking than stock. It also has a cheap price tag. It is hard to find a pipe (especially from a big name brand) that offers weight savings, longevity, and great power increases. It is not a bad pipe by any means. I have tried on eon a YZ250F as well as a YZ450 and couldn't tell the difference from stock on either bike. The Factory 4.1 on the other hand does offer great performance gains, but at a greater price. I have run the ti-powercore with a stock header, powerbomb, and a megabomb. I have also run a Dr. D system and a Pro Circuit Ti-4. After all of these I have come to settle with the megabomb and factory 4.1 combo on my 250F. I have tried all three different powerbombs for the 450 (MX, SX, and factory forward) and have found that I prefer the factory forward powerbomb with the factory 4.1 silencer on that bike.

• sick 96 250

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

thanks for the info, I guess I will see how it turns out, just wish more people on the site could decide on this set-up, some say great, others say nay. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend to test. For the price it couldnt be passed up so either way I should be ok.

Referring to this thread the powercore TI is suppose to be a great pipe for the price with gains.......
http://www.thumperta...light=powercore

or am i reading this wrong?

• dfcfu342

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

thanks for the info, I guess I will see how it turns out, just wish more people on the site could decide on this set-up, some say great, others say nay. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend to test. For the price it couldnt be passed up so either way I should be ok.

Referring to this thread the powercore TI is suppose to be a great pipe for the price with gains.......
http://www.thumperta...light=powercore

or am i reading this wrong?

He said it made great gains against the WR stock exhaust. Putting the stock YZ pipe onto the WR would do the same thing.

• sick 96 250

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

I see, so what exactly makes this pipe do nothing for the most part? Is the whole design the same as stock or something. When you guys say its a cheaper system, that pipe with the powerbomb ads up to a decent price number in my opinion for an exhaust? So how much does a good exhaust run then?

• KJ790

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

I see, so what exactly makes this pipe do nothing for the most part? Is the whole design the same as stock or something. When you guys say its a cheaper system, that pipe with the powerbomb ads up to a decent price number in my opinion for an exhaust? So how much does a good exhaust run then?

The powerbomb header is a great performing pipe, and you will notice power gains from that. The ti-powercore was originally priced at $299, making it one of the cheapest slip-ons on the market. It's price has since been raised to $349. The cheapest "good performing" slip-ons from a big name company will run you about $425 for a stainless factory 4.1 or a pro circuit T-4. For the titanium versions of these slip-ons expect to pay $500-$550.

• sick 96 250

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

Ok, I figured I would see some sort of gain from the whole set-up with the powerbomb which I did get along with the TI powercore but was worried that there was absolutely no point to buy this set-up. I did get it cheap so I guess I could always sell it if I dont like it.

• sick 96 250

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

should I look into another slip on to match up with the powerbomb header? I'm no pro rider or anything just rocky, rutted arizona desert rider that needs power throughout the low to mid RPM's mostly. Of course there is some wide open areas but more concerned about the mid range since thats where I will be spending most of my time.

Whats my jetting going to consist of most likely, generally a needle clip and minor low circuit or will I need to change out all jets +needles?

• phm14

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Check the jetting sticky at the top of the forum, and remember: quiet pipes save trails :thumbsup:

• phm14

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

I've run many of the combinations FMF offers. The ti-powercore mimics the stock powercurve offering little to no performance gain. The powerbomb gives slightly better lowend power than stock and keeps the topend pretty much the same. The combo together is pretty much the same as the powerbomb with the stock silencer. The ti-powercore is nice because it is a rock solid pipe, doesn't stick out behind the numberplate far, and is a little lighter than stock.

So a power/megabomb will bolt up to the stock silencer? Have you tried the Q4?

• sick 96 250

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

yeah i'm not all about being the loudest, prefer to stay close to stock db's if possible but where I ride it doesnt matter, just personal preference to stay low key.

• KJ790

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:33 AM

For a boost in low end power (and even a little in the top end) I would suggest looking into the FMF factory 4.1. You can find ones with stainless midpipes for just a little more than the ti-powercore.

• sick 96 250

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

yeah but I just paid $150 for the whole set-up, figured it was worth a try. Got it in today and just got done bolting it up, need to go through the carb. I am also very familiar with jetting but was just curious if there was a better starting point besides stock for this pipe so I dont have to pull the carb apart 50x to jet.

• KJ790

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

yeah but I just paid $150 for the whole set-up, figured it was worth a try. Got it in today and just got done bolting it up, need to go through the carb. I am also very familiar with jetting but was just curious if there was a better starting point besides stock for this pipe so I dont have to pull the carb apart 50x to jet.

It shouldn't change the jetting much. Start it up with stock jetting and see where it is. If anything you may need to change the main and maybe the pilot if you can't get it right with the fuel screw.

• sick 96 250

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

getting some backfire on decel so looks like it needs to go a little richer. Wish it wasnt the weekend cause now I cant get jets for it.

• KJ790

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

If it's on decel then it is your pilot. Did you richen your fuel screw?

• sick 96 250

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

I turned it out a 1/2 turn, on 4 strokes thats richening it up correct? Also doest seem to pull really mid/top either so I'm going to raise the needle as well to see. All trial and error I guess but then again I am coming off of 250 2 stroke MX bikes so this power curve I am not use to.

• KJ790

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:08 PM

I turned it out a 1/2 turn, on 4 strokes thats richening it up correct? Also doest seem to pull really mid/top either so I'm going to raise the needle as well to see. All trial and error I guess but then again I am coming off of 250 2 stroke MX bikes so this power curve I am not use to.

Yup, out is richer. If you get more than three turns out then go bigger with the pilot jet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.